Sign in to follow this  

Which mods are best first?

Hello out there. I just bought my first Suzuki. It's a 2001 DRZ400. I'm totally new to these and am wondering where to look for the best mods to do to it for more power, etc. If you have any good places to look, or just advice, please share it. Thanks!

-Jesse

Howdy...Get rid of the ACCT (auto cam chain tensioner) and install a MCCT (manual cam chain tensioner) available from www.bitechmachine.com This will keep your motor from self-imploding when the ACCT goes bad. One of the only really bad defects on this bike, especially the early models like yours and mine. Read Bronco's FAQ at the top of this forum that describes many mods. Case-savers, skid-pate, round-off the edges of the shifter to prevent it from going through the case in a minor fall. Dyno-jet kit, etc. I still run my stock exhaust opened up a little. If you like it quiet you can't beat stock but there is a great selection of after-market headers and pipes. Ya got a service manual? That's the first thing I'd buy. From then on it depends on how much money ya got! Search the forum...almost 250,000 posts dealing directly with the DR-Z in all its forms. The TT Store is a good place to shop. Good luck... :)