Sign in to follow this  

Getting into SM.

Hey, i posted some in the CRF150F section over this. Im looking to get into Sm with my CRF150F. I want to keep the stock rims so i need a 19 inch front and 16 inch rear. A friend of mine at my local dealer races a 2003 CRF450R that is all modded out and setup for SM. He wants me to set my bike up and get some leathers and go with him to the practices and stuff. But my questions is what is the best tire. Someone told me to use the Dunlop GT501. And use 100/90-19 on the front and 11/90-16 on the rear but it is actually a rear tire. And another person showed me some tires from JC whitney that are $50 a peice and are both fronts also. Is there any specific reason that i have to use a front trie on the rear. I think its cause the 150 rear rim is only 2.50 inches wide as the big bikes use 4 inch wide rims and rear tires wont fit. But if you could help me on this than i would appreciate it. Also the GT501 he said to use a 100/90-19 and a 110/90-16. The others were a 110/90-19 and a 120/80-16. Would the second set be better. Sry for the long post but im just getting into this.

P.S.- also were can i get some cheap but good leathers that arnt like $400. I dont have much money to spend.

I put street tires on my XR100R with apparently about the same size wheels(19/16). It's fun to ride because everything happens in slow motion compared to a 450. I tried the Dunlop GT501 and really didn't like them. They are fine when the temps are up, but if it's cold, like below 60, they are like riding on ice. And, do not buy JC Witney tires-they are cheap because they are junk (hope that doesn't offend anyone). Go for Bridgestone BT-45 sport tires (their is sport touring and sport-get the high perf. ones-I think they are marked with an "F"). And yes, you must use two fronts, nobody makes a 16 inch rear the size you need. They are great tires and even ball up on the sides like a race tire-you will end up paying about $200 for the pair though.....Good luck! :)

Try www.newenough.com for cheap leathers. I got a two piece set of Teknic's (chicane I think) for about $400. Saved my ass once, but the stitching wore through after one low side. :)

Hey , welcome- your tire size is the same as our xr100's, and I have run a bunch of different tires to see what works best. I started out with Trail Wings by Bridgestone, tried the Avon Supervenoms (very soft,$$$),tried the Pirrelli Sport Demons, tried the Chen Chins. Each had their good points, most were crap in the dirt sections, except for the TW's- which are what I'm using again. Funny how I came full circle $400 later. The TW's stick very well on the paved parts(drag the pegs if you dare), but are the only ones worth a damn in the dirt. My Hundy has about 15 hp and the TW's handle that just fine, and last a long time. The only thing is that the don't really LOOK like supermoto tires,which I think was my original motivation. Live & learn!! Oh, and yes the rear tires I used were FRONT tires, but it's no problem.

Thanx for the help. Yea my 150 isnt stock. If you go to my garage you will see. We are going to dyno it and it should be at about 25hp. Its actually a CRF203R now. I even have CR85 forks on it. Ill show my dad this and see what tire he thinks is best. But ive found people with a 16 inch rear tire that is 4.75 inches wide(my swingarm is 5.5) but i was wondering why wont it fit. I think its cause where it seats on the bead, that part is to wide. Is that true. But ill go ahead with the 2 fronts.

Try www.newenough.com for cheap leathers. I got a two piece set of Teknic's (chicane I think) for about $400. Saved my ass once, but the stitching wore through after one low side. :)

Thanx for that link. The guy at my local dealer told me aout a place down by Lubbock(which is that place and i only live an hour from it) and i couldnt remeber the name. But thats it. Yea eveything is pretty cheap to what ive been looking at on othere sites.