Sign in to follow this  

Help

Just picked up brand new 04 KXF from the dealer. Took it home warmed it up pushed in the choke and started running terrible,backfires,hesatats and wants to die. Pull the choke out and it runs great. Drive it around the block, push the choke in and it runs terrible. Ihave tried Mian jets 168-178, pilot 40-42 and from half to two and three qourter turns out on the air screw. I life in Utah ele. 5000 feet 37 deg. Anybody have any suggestions.

if u bought it brand new, take it back and make them fix it.

when u buy a brand new bike u should be able to get on it and ride without ****ing around with anything.

What was the temperature outside when you did this. When it's below 40 degrees farenheit outside my bike acts similar until it gets fully warmed up. If it is new bring it back to dealer and make them fix it. The other possibility is the valves maybe out of adjustment or misstimed.

Sounds like it's cold to me too. Let it warm up more. New my KX was pretty "tight" as well. You've got a great bike, just warm it up more I think.

If it had been at the dealers, with fuel in it for any length of time, you may have bad fuel in the tank. Try the easy way first, drain the tank, put in fresh fuel, and see if you get lucky. If you have already done that, sorry I have no other easy fix advice.

It is probably something minor, I am sure you will love the bike once you get this sorted out.

i would try new fuel, and you might need to clean the carb if the dealer left fuel in it.

With that height and temp, i would say about mid 170's for a jet as an estimate. My bike is crappy in cold weather until it's fully warmed up, then when i turn the choke off it still runs a little funny until it cleans the buildup of fuel off the plug.

I did put new gas in, the temp is about 35 deg. I ran the bike for about 10 min. it seamed to get worse the warmer the motor got. I took it back to the dealer and we found the hot start did not have enough free play. The bike will now accelerate very strong with out any hesitation and the choke off. But on deceleration when the throttle is chopped it backfires like a chain of firecrackers. I know four strokes back fire, but this sounds a little extrem. Or is this just the nature of the beast. Thanks for all your help.