Sign in to follow this  

400 sxc questions

I've been in the market for a new motorcycle, i found a 00' KTM 400 SXC for a good price. Can someone tell me about this bike? Is it good on trails? Is this a good year? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks- :)

It is a low tech, low performance but good quality bike. Its based on the LC4 engine which is tough, wins Dakar annually but heavier than what the majority of us here ride with.

Does anyone have a link to a website with the specs for this bike?

thanks-

I can add a little to what Dave said. It's almost the same bike as my 98 400 SC/EXC.

LC4 engine, left kick, no e-start, 43mm WP upside-down forks, enduro lighting, etc. Kind of like a water cooled XR400. Very reliable easy to ride trail bike. It would look a lot like this '98 400 SC/EXC except for the forks and BigGun exhaust.

I don't know a site that has specs, try a google search. If it's what you want you should be able to get one pretty cheap, since there is very little demand for them.

Just to make it clear, the SXC is a totally different bike than the 00-present KTM RFS (Racing Four Strokes) 400 EXC/MXC/SX's. As OldeDude said, more akin to an XR400. I'm sure it's a good bike, just want you to aware of exactly what you're buying.

Thankyou for your input, I mostly ride on trails, so this sounds like it would do okay with that. The seller is asking 3,100 OBO for it, is this a good deal, or should i wait to find something else?

Thankyou for your input, I mostly ride on trails, so this sounds like it would do okay with that. The seller is asking 3,100 OBO for it, is this a good deal, or should i wait to find something else?

I'd say that he's asking too much. A friend bought one a few months ago for $2600 and it was even street plated here in CA. I don't think I'd pay more that $2000 - $2500, depending on the condition, unless it's street legal which would make it worth more. Heck, I just got a 2002 250 EXC RFS for $3000, and it's a much better bike than what you're looking at. :)

I just got done looking at a 400 sxc. The guy was clueless when it came to motorcycles, he hadn't cleaned it well, the chain needed replacing, the kickstand needed replacing, the seat needed a bolt, the rear brake pads and rotor needed replacing, and the front forks were leaking. Also, the lights were not working at all, he said they work, just they are not hooked up. The lowest in price he would go is 2800, so declined. I am about to leave here to go see another one (sounds more kept up, nicer etc.) and he is another thumpertalker.

, Mike