Sign in to follow this  

will a Cr125 fork fit on a crf230?

This is my first posting on this website and ive just been reading all about everyone elses experiences and what they have done to there bikes so i figured id join in, im only 15 and have been riding my crf for the past 2 years, it was my first bike ive ever owned, and ridden. This is deffinately a very good bike to begin on and has allot of potential if you have some money and a bit of time.~ very trustworthy bike.

Well anyways, this past fall i was riding in my back yard hitting my table top , i landed hard once and blew out my forks and bought a fork seal kit.. but then i got into the idea of building my bike a bit bigger and getting a different suspension on it. :) so i was wondering if a cr125 fork would fit onto a crf230f if i switched the tripple clamps? could some one please help me out with this, before i go and spend the money and have it fail.. :) and what could i do to my bike to increase the torque and over all power of my bike. i was told that porting my header would make a difference also, is this correct? right now i have an 03 crf230f with a fmf powercore 4 pipe, moose 51 tooth rear sprocket, shaved front and rear fenders, stripped the graphics, renthal bars, renthal grips.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

~Pat

It would probably require a custom stem. Made to press into the lower CR125 clamp and then it would be the same as the 230 stem except maybe a fraction of an inch longer to accommodate the CR125's upper bridge thickness. Almost any machine shop could make one for you but I don't know what that would run. I'd guess $100 if you had it spelled out for them what they had to do. After that hurdle you'd also want the CR125 front wheel & brakes. Also, you'd need a 2" block inside the forks to limit the suspensions travel. You'd also need to get some light weight springs & have them cut to fit. Once they're cut they're stiffer. That's why you need light ones to begin with.

It could be done but holy smokes! $$$$ :)

:)

Thanks guys, im probably buying cr125 forks soon and if worst comes to worst, i can start cutting and welding :-)

You can do it. I put forks off an RM250 on mine. Here's what I did:

Bought a whole front end off ebay for an RM250. Came with forks, trees, brake set up (caliper, master cylinder, brake line), wheel, fender, risers and...uh....think that's about it.

I machined the stem down on the RM triple tree so that I could use the stock CRF bearings and the CRF's "lower" nut (the one that holds the lower tree in and loads the bearings). This meant turning it down to a diameter of 26mm (as I recall) and re-threading stem to accept the nut. When done, the stem basically looks like the CRF stem up to where the lower nut's threads are. From there up, I left it as is to accept the RM upper triple tree and the stock Suzuki nut to hold the top tree on. I also had to machine a spacer to go under the upper tree (between the "lower nut" and the upper clamp). This raises the top clamp up so that you maintain the right distance betwee upper and lower clamp. This gives you the necessary flexibility to slide the forks up a tad in the clamps. You could easily buy a "shaft collar" pretty much anywhere to do the same thing as the spacer that I made. It may be a bit hard to picture the way I'm describing it.

With the particular parts I used, I got away with using the CRF's existing steering stop (the little piece of round stock welded onto the down tube). However I had clearance issues that limited the range of motion on steering. So I filed down the tabs on the lower tree to allow more turning movement. In order to get the maximum, I replaced the "cap head" style bolts in the clamps with "pan head" style. They were lower and rounded off. The stock ones would have possibly hit my tank...not good. But it was an easy fix. I knew it might be an issue going in because the inverted forks are so much bigger diameter. Thought I might have to tack weld a new stop on the down tube, but it worked out this way instead.

Then I put the BBR spring on the rear shock and the BBR linkage to raise the rear end up and level the bike off.

Also had to remove the key switch. No problem. Just study the schematic and you can jumper it out. Then you start the bike just like the key is always on. To avoid nuisance starting I usually leave it in gear. Then you have to pull the clutch in. If you accidently hit the start button, it won't do anything because it's in gear.

I used forks from an '89, so I had to fab some brackets to mount the fork guards I bought. They turned out pretty good, even though they are the rough mock-ups that I originally made. Planned on re-doing them, but haven't yet.

Of course, you'll need a new number plate. I put new dust and oil seals in the forks, filled them with 5w oil and they cleaned up really nicely. They're Showa's, inverted. I bought a Suzuki manual just so I could properly work on and adjust the forks.

I also rebuilt the brake caliper, bled the lines, blah blah blah. You'll also have to buy at least the lower bearing and seal because you won't be able to remove the stock lower bearing from the stem without destroying the bearing.

That's a quick and dirty version of what I did. I have pic's that I took for the Dirttrails forum. They actually are before I put the rear linkage on and they show it with my CRF number plate, which I took off because it just doesn't fit.

And guess what??? I just bought a left over YZ250F, so I don't know what I'm going to do with the CRF. In addition to the stuff I listed here, I put a new chain and 53t Tag rear sprocket on it, a BBR rev box, FMF pipe, re-jetted the carb, removed the snorkel, etc. and I HAVEN'T EVEN RIDDEN IT OUTSIDE MY YARD YET!!! I really want to get it out on the trails to see how it works, but I don't know if I'll get the chance. I'm going to put it all back to stock and either my wife will ride it that way, or I'm selling in stock form and re-selling all the other stuff separately. Oh well.

If you want to see pics, or have other questions, email me or you can go to dirttrails forum and look up my pics (username is willierides over there, too).

Good luck and have fun!

I'd like to get a whole front end off a 230 for my wife's XR200R (it's got a drum brake). If anybody wants to sell their take-off, I'd be interested. PM me.

-Toby