Sign in to follow this  

cr500

ask the guys at CR500riders.com I have heard that the 87 has the snappiest power delivery, and absolutely rips. I would say that any year CR500 with a cool head, porting, PWK carb, and a full exhaust should pump out around 58-65 horsepower and probably 65-70 ft. pounds of torque.

85/86 were the fastest, they were completely uncorked and raww arm yanking powerhouses.after 86 they started to detune them. I had an 86 and it was a monster,my 90 cr500 &KX500 were nowhere near as fast...

I hear the two B's had to create actual bike forums to keep this kind of crap out of OT.

:p:):)

You have gone far beyond the normal. My hat is off to you.

Yah we wouldnt want to have to actually talk about bikes in here eh. Might get in your way of bashing 2bb and creating other midless dribble

I hear the two B's had to create actual bike forums to keep this kind of crap out of OT.

No one is getting suspended due to this being a 2-stroke question. :)

I'll move it to General.

I don't think any of them were "slow", but the power delivery was really good on the 87. It I raced one that year. It had a great engine, brakes, handling, but soft stock fork springs that contributed to head shake. My memory of the 85/86 was abrupt Magoo type power. Chandler and David Baily's works bikes of the early 80s made sick horsepower. Of those years the 89 was really good, because the upside down forks really helped to calm the front end. If I were to look for an 80's era CR, the 89 would be a pretty good ride.

1985 was the nastiest of em all. It was the first year for the new engine,even factory riders detuned them to make them more usable.

My boss rode an 85 CR500 that was bored out, and had some other modifications, He rode trails only. I hear that the 85 had the most abrupt powerband, but the 87 was a little more useable, and made more power. The 91-01 models are the most powerful, even though they are the easiest to ride.