The legend of Kietshburg Illinois. 1977 125 National Recap

Some of the guys' in the Midwest forum have been talking about riding at Kiethsburg area in west central Illinois. Some people don't even know that in 1977 they actually held a national MX race there. I've never been there but I believe this is out in the middle of no-where. RacerX did a big article on it (I tried to find it to add to this post and couldn't?). It was a whooped out sand track that made Southwick look like a flat wide open free-way. Hannah absolutely crushed the field that day. Glover was the only one to stay on the same lap! ?

The national did not get it's own coverage from MXA but it was included in the 1977 year end re-cap. Interesting side note, they also mention the St Joe MO national that Chiefan was so kind to post Magoo's hole shot and other pictures. (If someone has the RacerX article or finds it please tag it to the thread.) ?

fe18008.jpg

(Hannah doesn't look too happy to me!)

fe18009.jpg

fe18010.jpg

fe18011.jpg

fe18012.jpg

fe18013.jpg

fe18016.jpg

And also the controversy on Hannah pulling over for Glover.

fe18014.jpg

fe18015.jpg

:D?:D

JohnnyO, thanks for the memories. I recall the article and the infamous "Let Brock Bye" pit board. Geez you would think Keith McCarty could at least spell Glovers first name right. The page on the St. Joseph National was very small and hard to read. Can you re-post it in a larger size?

FYI - I found out someone is putting together a DVD about Magoo. I submitted some of my pictures of him. Here is a link: http://www.dannymagoo.com/

JohnnyO, thanks for the memories. I recall the article and the infamous "Let Brock Bye" pit board. Geez you would think Keith McCarty could at least spell Glovers first name right. The page on the St. Joseph National was very small and hard to read. Can you re-post it in a larger size?

FYI - I found out someone is putting together a DVD about Magoo. I submitted some of my pictures of him. Here is a link: http://www.dannymagoo.com/

Whoops, sorry about that. I had some issues' with this post, scanner acting up. ???

I will post the corrected page 12 later tonight. The magoo video should be killer.

:D

Here's the St Joe National re-sized. ?

fe23002.jpg

Don't know what to tell you Chief. I've re-scanned it twice, re-sized it, re-loaded it twice and it still won't show it at full size. ??

Not sure if it's cause of photobucket or TT but if you PM me your email I'll send it.

:D

• 10 months later...

Man,

I remember that 125 national at Keithsburg!! I beleive it was June 12th, 1977

Around the time of our District 17 Motocross race. I rode a Suzuki Rm 125-B and my brother had the Just got a new Rm-125-C. I didn't even finish the the first lap at paractice when my head-bolt studs came loose (new Bore Job) and the compression pushed the head up. My brother finished either 3rd or fourth overall

after a bad start that put him behind 30 -40 other bikes.

When the national came to us it was a big deal!....Hurricane Hannah riding that Killer ow works bike. Warren Reid on a factory rc-125, The all red one Jimmy Weinert on a Factory 125 kawasaki. Radical Ron turner on a Moto X Fox Rm 125-B, Billy Grossi on a factory suzuki..............Those were the days! If I remember right Hannan Lapped up to 3rd or fourth Place rider on that track. He was simply kicking everyones ass. And where he was doing it was on the back straight woop de doos. He must have gained 10 seconds on every lap. You had to see it to beleive it. Everyone would hit those woops and ride them out. Everyone but Hannah that is. He took the outside line where the woops wern't as deep. He hit em hard and fast, front tire hardly touching the sand while his throttle hand was only inches from the fence. The smartest damn racer i ever saw. I wish i could dig up the 8-mm that someone took on that day. It shows him doing exactly what i have said.........I saw warren Reid endow hard over the bars on a downhill whoop. Jimmy Weinert I beleive ran out of gas on the new Factory Kaw....(small tank).....THOSE WERE THE DAYS