Sign in to follow this  

New to Harescrambles

I am looking at racing my first harescramble. I try to ride the toughest trails I can find and always look at pushing myself.

What should I know/do to get ready and not make a fool out of myself. Not looking to win just looking to finish and not get killed. I will be riding the most novice of novice.

Thanks,

make sure your ride is in good shape. don't let little things like running out of gas or flat tires ruin the day. pace yourself as you ride, two hours straight is a long time if your not used to it.

I have a problem with riding beyond my skills trying to keep up with the faster riders. You will have faster lap times by riding that little bit slower and not crashing than going all out and dumping it several times.

It is hard to not go all out though, at least for me.

Pratice your starts before you get to race day also. A dead engine start takes some getting used to. My first race I got to exicted and gassed it before it cranked, which flooded it and had to watch the whole line ride out and leave me while I am still kicking.

Pratice your starts before you get to race day also. A dead engine start takes some getting used to. My first race I got to exicted and gassed it before it cranked, which flooded it and had to watch the whole line ride out and leave me while I am still kicking.

Exactly. The XR can be a 1 kick or 5 kick, the difference is battling for first or for sure last. I have done both.

I did my first hare scramble last weekend https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229437. Try not to ride aggressive but as smooth as possible. I went out too hard on the first lap, and went into survival mode on the second. Survival mode will make you focus on conserving as much energy as possible by riding as smooth as possible. The most important thing is to have fun. 🙂

Just get that first one behind you. After talking to several local participants I went to my first with three goals 1) to finish 2) not to break anything on my bike and 3) not to break anything on me. I accomplished all three but had it not been for goal number one I may not have made it. I was wore out 3/4 of the way through the first lap! But even being totally exhausted at the end of the race I couldn't wait for the next one. Just realize that when you hear someone yelling behind you it's just a polite way of saying I'm hear, would you please move over so I can pass. Did I say I can't wait until the next one? Man, it is soooo much fun!

Yea, I have done 6 now since December and they are really addictive!! I don't know how I am going to make it when the series ends in April.

Hello everyone! Im also going to be racing a hare scramble for the first time in July. I know its kinda way out there but I NEED HELP!!!! Is there any videos or books that I can read? Can anyone help?

Here are a few things that have helped me through the years.

1. Breath!!!. It may seam stupid, but it will help, when things start to get a little out of hand , focus on breathing . It help in alot of ways, arm pump, calms you down and it is very rhythmatic.

2. If he caught you , he is faster than you . He has proved that already by catching you . let him by and try to keep up, learn from his lines,braking ,etc. this is an great way to turn it up just a little.

3. when you catch a fellow rider pass them quickly and smoothly,try to avoid using the same lines as they do untill you get by them in case they crash

4. have fun !!! It's hard,but it is what we do for "fun" don't let the "race" ruin it for you!!!!!

good luck

Jim

If you are getting ready for your first HS, my advice is to:

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!

I drink over 2 gallons of water the day before the race, about a gallon the morning of, and I'll just about empty my 70 oz drinky pack during the race.

Hare scrambles are the toughest sport I've ever done. I've found that if I am not on top of my hydration, I'll be in the parking lot chuckin my guts as soon as I make it across the finish.

It would not be a bad idea to go get a physical to make sure your heart is not going to explode.

Come race day, the best thing I can tell you is to ride YOUR race. I still struggle with this myself. It takes me a corner or two to get my groove on. It's real easy to just grab a handfull as soon as that green goes up. That usualy results in me pulling the bike out of some trees...which costs time, not just getting back on the bike, but it also takes a bit to get back into that groove.

I find I do best when I pussyfoot the start, get into my groove, ride smooth (a gear high), and build speed as my confidence builds.

That being said, I've lost 25-30 lbs over the winter and have been working out and riding with some fast guys all winter. My pussyfoot strategy may go out the window this time around, as this mid-packer is hungry for a podium.

Lots of good tips. I'll add two:

-- Get a Camelbak or other drink backpack thing, and get comfortable using it. That helps a lot in staying hydrated during the race.

-- Get set up with tearoffs or a rolloff system, and practice using it a lot before the race. The race is no place to try to get used to pulling tearoffs.

Have fun! I agree with the "survival" goal for the first HS. 🙂

Thanks jim! Any other advise anyone, Training or anything like that? Is there any hawaii people on this that can help me?

Any type of strategies I should be using? Or tips on making passes? Or anything of that sort. Anything I should practice like starts or anything? I wish I could have someone sort of train me out here in Hawaii.

Get used to riding at about 80% of your max pace for a very long time. I ride 30-min to 1-hour motos to get ready for hare scrambles. If I can't get enough riding in, then I'll get on the eliptical machine at the gym or ride my MTB for a solid hour a couple times a week. Berkeman gave the best tip so far, a Camel back and tear-offs are a must. I would also mount some kind of watch on your bars to help you pace yourself. Keep spare goggles and a clean rag with your gas can. If you race solo, then put your gas where all of the spectators will be standing. You can usually just point to your jug and somebody will hand it to you. They make you turn off your bike to refuel, but there is no reason to get off your bike if somebody hands you your gas can.

When you race, don't waste energy dicing with other riders. Let the yahoos charge off in the first lap. If you pace yourself, you will reel them in by the 1-hour mark. Just concentrate on riding smooth and efficiently. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

flyin dub, dude I so appreciate your advice! I have had ACL surgery 13 months ago and the eliptical machine is really gonna help i forgot about that machine!

I have also picked up a bad habit of following someone in the trails and seem to have some difficulty in tracking my own lines, i dont ever ride in the trails by my self but i guess I should start leading more often than following. I already use a camel back but never thought to use tear offs or roll offs, which do you suggest I use, I will also keep a spare set of goggles with my buddies and the gas can!

ANY help is welcome, I also appreciate everyone who has already dropped me some tips! please continue to drop me any advice you feel fit that I need to know.

Locally here in our series they don't allow tear offs for littering reasons. As an organization we make an effort to keep our public riding areas clear of debris (especially debris that will stick around for a long time like plastic). Roll offs are the best way to go in my opinion because they keep your vision clear and you don't leave them out in the woods. We don't need to give the greenies another reason to pick us out as the bad people. This is also another good reason to keep a spare set of googles at the gas stop (fresh roll offs).

mcdrz, good thinking! Roll offs it is! Any one have any favorite roll offs brand/model??

I have also picked up a bad habit of following someone in the trails and seem to have some difficulty in tracking my own lines, i dont ever ride in the trails by my self but i guess I should start leading more often than following. I already use a camel back but never thought to use tear offs or roll offs, which do you suggest I use, I will also keep a spare set of goggles with my buddies and the gas can!

Tear offs or roll offs, they both work fine. Roll offs are more eco and they last longer, but if its really wet and you get water behind the film, you are bumming. Our races are on private land, so tear offs are not a problem.

I like to put a 50/50 mix of Gatorade/water in my Camel Back. Straight Gatorade gives me heartburn.

If its muddy, I'll keep a towel tucked in my pants so I can wipe my goggles if I run out of tear-offs. You want to break the habit of following people or you won't have enough tear-offs for a whole race.

When I'm riding a HS, I ride like a lazy old dude. I sit as much as possible and seat-bounce every jump I can to save my legs.

By the end of the race, your hands will be blistered and you will have the worst case of monkey butt EVER. I tape my hands, but many people use undergloves to prevent blisters. Diaper ointment for babies is a miracle for monkey butt. Vaseline works too, but its messy. Apply BEFORE the race.

With a stock tank on my 450, I can do a 2-hour scramble with one gas stop. Most of the faster 125s need 2 gas stops on a stock tank.

I have a MTB computer mounted to my throttle housing for time-keeping. It works great, the numbers are big and easy to read, and I can operate it with my thumb.

I'd suggest practicing somewhere where there are a ton of riders, like a busy MX track. You want to be comfortable riding in alot of traffic. You should be comfortable passing slower riders as well as being passed by much faster riders. Again, it doesn't do you any good to waste energy dicing with riders who are not even in your class. Just hold your line and the faster riders will find a safe way around you.

Good luck, these races are a blast!!

This forum is great! You guys are helping me out so much! I almost feel like im ready to ride just from reading all your tips! keep them coming!!