Sign in to follow this  

DR650 mods and accessories

I've got a 130/90 MT21 on my DR

They fit fine, just be careful the first few miles on the street, until the mould release wears off! scrared the crap out of me the first time I got on it

I usually run 22 - 25 lbs but have run them as low as 12 lbs (which worked great off road but was a little spongy on the street)

You've got that right! The Dunlops I run are scary slick for the first few miles too. I try to get a couple of trail miles in on a new tire before hitting the pavement.

One note on the tubes. I've seen the valve stems without the threads and lock nuts cock in place and cut. The Ching Shin tubes I use have threaded stems and lock down to the rim and with that I haven't had a problem. I can't for certain if its stretched any,but so far so good.

Mike.

Installed the 14T sprocket. Noticed the plasic spacer between plate and sprocket is now getting squeezed rearward by chain. Normal?

Also some play between sprocket and shaft.

Pull the plastic spacer out and grind down the retainer ring outer edge. You will be good to go then.

thanks...I suspect the reason to grind the retainer to make clearance for the chain?? (dumb question...)

You got it. Otherwise the ring holds the chain slightly off the gear. The ring will eventually wear but I did not want my chain to be doing the grinding.

I did as you said and all is well. Much better performance in the lower gears. Thanks again! Big test is tomorrow on the high mountain trails! Mt-21's rule!

Has anyone mounted a 130/80-17 on the rear? I've got a new Distanzia (since I probably won't be hitting serious off-road action for quite a while), and am trying to figure this stuff out...

Thanks...

Hmmm...another Buck. Have I seen you on ST.N?

I just mounted a 130/90-17 as recomended by many on here with no problem. So a 130/80 should be fine.

Is it a good idea to change the original fork oil? What type and weight is best for average riding?

Someone asked about gas milage...A 10% drop after installing a 14T sprocket, setting pilot screw at 2.5 out and shimming needle .025". Went from 200 km to 180 km before switching to reserve. That's acceptable considering the performance/ridability gain.

Has anyone mounted a 130/80-17 on the rear? I've got a new Distanzia (since I probably won't be hitting serious off-road action for quite a while), and am trying to figure this stuff out...

Thanks...

I ride with a 130/80 - 17 Michelin Sirac - have worked very well, even suprisingly well on gravel and even in sandy conditions...

/K

Just thought I'd add my 2c worth ...

I've got an '03 650 and run Pirelli MT21's front and rear (90/90 & 130/90), 13T front sprocket, 44T rear sprocket, rim locks, heavy duty tubes, standard rear suspension with the spring compression increased a bit from factory setting, and spacers in the forks. I use the original 525 chain but 520 sprockets with no problem. I was told that this helps if you ride much in muddy terrain as it helps to clear the mud from the chain but has no adverse effects. It's working fine for me. I run the standard recommended pressures on the road and 15psi front and rear off road, the lower pressures make big difference off road - heaps more traction.

I haven't done the jetting and airbox mods yet mainly because I was concerned about increased fuel use. I get around 170km to reserve and around 200km in total from a tank, and sometimes carry extra fuel with me if there's no fuel available within easy reach part way round a long ride. The last ride I did was 220km all off road.

The Pirelli's have been good. When they were new on the front wheel weaved a bit from side to side over around 80kph on the road, but that went away once they were worn in a bit. The front is wearing quite well but the back has worn in the centre quite a bit. I'll probably put another MT21 on back when the current one's had it as the price isn't too bad, they work real good off road, and I'd prefer to keep a match set on front and back. I might look at the Kendas a bit later on.

I hope this helps someone.

Great info. I have the same experience with MT21's. Excellent tires but the rear is wearing fast but what the hell its a knobby and priced low. I think the lower gearing makes a bigger difference in fuel milage than some minor re-jetting just to make the bike run more efficiently.

My $.02 on the fuel mpg. I have the Dynojet Kit, K&N filter,open air box, 14 tooth sprocket, and Kenda 270's. Fuel consumption dropped from approx. 45mpg to 33-35mpg but the trail performace has made it all worthwhile.

Mileage seems to be highly dependent on how you are riding. At the track I got 30mpg. Riding quickly in the hills I average about 40mpg. Cruising at 55mph I can get up to 55mpg.

I'm using a dynojet kit and a Uni Filter Pod (no airbox).

-Drew