Sign in to follow this  

Common Timing Chain Problems?

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a 96 XR 250 that has the top end already torn down.

The owner says the timing chain broke and bent 2 of the valves. I was wondering what other things might have been damaged and what other info I could use in determining if this is a good deal.

He only wants 200 bucks, and the most I found for parts is about 600.

He claims the rest of the bike is in pretty good shape, but I haven't seen it yet. Does it sound like it might be a good deal?

Thanks

It sounds like its a great deal. If the chain whipping around didn't damage anything, and the valves are truly your'e only problem, then you're out $40 a valve, $80 for a chain/$25 a guide(at least thats the cost for my XR400 chain), plus a couple hundred to put the top end back together with fresh piston/rings ect. If the rest of the bike looks in good shape, i'd definatly go for it!

The timing chain could have indirectly caused damage to the other valves, the piston, and mabye even the head.. but i doubt that. Directly, the chain could have smacked around inside the case and cracked something important, but if the owner that tore it down didn't notice anything serious i doubt that happened. I'd try and convince the owner to take apart lower cover to check for any damage near the lower timing chain gear.. and then consider buying it! =)

Remember, while a top end blowing up can be a tragedy its always an excuse to go for that big bore kit and performance parts =)

If the chain was stretched to crap before it broke, then it may have filled the oil with aluminum shavings and all the bonuses that would bring. I saw a used-and-abused XR200 that had that happen -- it had fiberglass over the cylinder where the chain wore through (to keep the oil in I presume) and the oil in it looked like aluminum/silver paint!! Needless to say the rest of the bike was trashed too...