KX500 radiator cap

I've been riding my '99 YZ400 on trails occasionally but I"m having problems with overheating. I searched the archives and found people running KX500 caps on their bikes. Will any year KX500 cap work? I'm assuming that as long as my hoses are in good shape it won't cause any problems, right? Any helpful info would be great.

What do you think about mounting up a WR resevoir (s?) to your YZ. I think that the recovery sys on the WR is pretty cool. I went on a ride from hell last week and my bike was overheating just a tad and im glad that I had the WR setup as it alows the coolant to get back to the radiators. The YZ that went on the ride was COOKIN!! Who cares that the little bottle weighs a couple of pounds? KX500 caps? If I rode a KX500 I would definatly have one. ?

KX-500 caps will work. You can also take your cap inta a high perf auto parts store and ask them for a higher pressure cap (stant I believe). I had to replace the o-rings where the steel tubes connect to the engine, as they were both leaking with the 1.6 cap.

------------------

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

Those damn WR's suck!!!

Marc, Im going to Laughlin this Friday. Not with my bike but with the boat. Im looking really forward to just relaxing and not fixing flats. Now if I can just keep the boat running for 3 days..... Hmmmm.....That ole 460 Ford is just as reliable as my WR. ?

What do you guys think about this. I'm going to try the KX500 cap but I also stumbled upon this resevoir. It looks pretty good, or at least better then bolting on a WR resevoir on my YZ. Look at http://www.whitetrashracing.com/prod.htm

Look at the resevoir and the picture. The price seems right!! Let me know what you think.

------------------

Khris

"What's that?"

"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Hey Khris, looks like you could make the same thing out of PCV pipe for about $5 man. I'm a little curious about how it would affect the air flow.. Just a thought.

When are you gonna drag your ass up here for a DM bro? Between Danny and Scott, we've got plenty of people to take us out on a march through the dez. Bring it on baby! You too Ron, get your arse up here. ?

otb_a

Khris, I was on that Friday the 13th ride with you when both of our bikes were overheating on Redonda Ridge Trail. My bike had the KX 500 1.6 cap. The cap has been on the bike since 98 with no problems as far as breaking lines or anything of the sort. Recently, I put the WR catch tank back on and went with about 80% anti-freeze 20% distilled water and have had no more overheating problems. The higher percentage of anti-freeze raises the boiling point of the system, but the bike runs at a higher operating temp. Before I went with 80% anti-freeze I tried 100% distilled water with water wetter(the most efficient cooling combo) and the bike boiled very easily. Go with the 1.6 cap and try the 80% anti-freeze method and you may find you won't need a catch tank at all. Good Luck, Eric

------------------

98 WR400 "Strokerized"

97 EXC400

93 RMX250

I didn't even think about making that myself. Hell, I could probably get a lathe operator here at work to make me one out of aluminum. OTB where are you at again? Aren't up up in the Apple Valley area? Or is that someone else on the board. I'm always up for Desert riding!! Maybe near the end of Sept. This weekend I'm going to Pismo, next weekend I'm running up to the Deep Creek area again.

BB,

Thanks for the details on your set up. I'm going to get the KX500 cap for sure before next weekends ride and maybe before this weekend at Pismo.

------------------

Khris

"What's that?"

I'd love to come up there and ride with you guys sometime. What areas do you normally head out to? Is there camping out where you guys ride? Coming up from San Diego would be a long haul so it would probably be worth while to camp for the weekend. Maybe I could hook up with Ron and we could head up together since I only work about 30 minutes from his house eventhough I live in SD. What's the terrain like? I'm going to Pismo this weekend, riding the Deep Creek area next Sat. and then probably a track the following weekend. Maybe near the end of Sept. we can work out a weekend. I would love to come up there. Is the area similar to Johnson/Yucca Valley area?

kkading@newport.com (work email M-F)

sirhk100@hotmail.com (personal email)

either works but I check the work address much more often!

------------------

Khris

"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited 08-23-2001).]

I've got a feeling I might be making a lot more long distance runs to ride then my normal one hour drive to the desert. Although once I move to OC that'll through a whole nother spin on traveling to go ride!! I'm hoping to get some of my 2 stroke riding buds on some of these trips so they can have the long distance trail ride bug bite them and buy a larger tank too. You guys definitely have to come down south and head out to Ocotillo Wells with me. This place is seriously Disneyland for dirt bike. Wide open washes, verticle cliff climbs, blasting through 10' wide washes with 20' verticle walls, sand dunes, hard pack, name it and it's there. Except for single track through the woods. Ocotillos version is single track through tigh washes and ridge lines. Go out and camp for the weekend and you guys will be hooked!!!

------------------

Khris

"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited 08-23-2001).]