how hard is it to replace fork seals

I have a 04 WR 450 and the frok seals went out on me a couple weekends ago and I was wondering how hard it was to replace them. Could I do it myself or should I take them in to be done. If I can do it my self what do I need to do everything right the first time. Thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know about you guys but I have a really hard time paying $70 plus parts for something I can do myself. The only hard part about replacing the fork seals is driving the seal in. $70 can get you your very own fork seal driver that you can use over and over again. Fork seals can and will go out (with and without Seal Savers) and $70 plus parts can really add up fast. Just my opinion. :naughty:

So far I've kept my OEM seals "alive" with lots of leftover 35mm film negatives, brake parts cleaner & a bit of sil-glide under the dust seals, but I'm gonna change them out soon (only about 300 miles on the bike). I traded PM's with Rob from Synergy Fork Seals awhile ago, & was pretty interested in what he had to say. If his webpage had nearly as much info about his products as I got from him he'd probably sell alot more seals. I called him & left a message today, as I want to order a set. I'll give a full repot once I've had a chance to install & trail test them. :naughty:

Replacing the seals is an easy job. Save the $70 for beer money. :naughty:

Instead of SealSavers give ShockSox a try. $27.95 shipped to your door. http://www.krewmx.com/

They work just as well and can be installed/removed in seconds because you don't have to pull the forks. It's a sweet design that makes it easy to keep the seal area clean. :D:naughty:

YCXIX-shocksox.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I have a really hard time paying $70 plus parts for something I can do myself. The only hard part about replacing the fork seals is driving the seal in. $70 can get you your very own fork seal driver that you can use over and over again. Fork seals can and will go out (with and without Seal Savers) and $70 plus parts can really add up fast. Just my opinion. :naughty:

Dave is right. I had my first seal go on my fork because I got lazy on cleaning under my seal savers when riding a lot of month last month. Dave showed me how to do it on the inverted forks in Moab last week! :naughty: Was not bad but it helps to have 3 hands! took us about 20 minutes total time. :D Thanks dave I ordered the Race tech seal driver yesterday! :D

Those "shock sox" look cool! Will get some of those. My own bike is on 4500kms and still on the OEM seals but they are cleaned and greased as per the manual after every run. I have replaced a them on a friends bike though and its quite easy. Use the labour money on beer to drink while you are doing it. :naughty:

OK thanks for your guys help. But I am still not sure if maybe one of you guys could explain quickly how its done then maybe I will decide to do it myself and save that money to add the dual sport kit to it I want to.

OK thanks for your guys help. But I am still not sure if maybe one of you guys could explain quickly how its done then maybe I will decide to do it myself and save that money to add the dual sport kit to it I want to.

I'd love to give you a brief description but the Yamaha Owner's manual would put me to shame! :naughty: In the manual it shows you step-by-step how to do it and provides pictures.

Really, though...it's a very easy process. :naughty:

if your fork seals are only leaking, try the film negative trick. slide the wipers down and run a peice of film negative up under the seal. slide it around the fork tube and then out. you'll be suprised at the dirt you will find. do this till no more dirt comes out. never power wash around the seal area and always wipe dried mud and dirt off your forks.

as far as changing the seals, your manual is very good and covers the process very well. i doesn't hurt to watch a buddy do it first. it's kind of strange the first time you pull the forks apart. you'll wonder if your going to damage anything. the manual tells you to replace the bushings also. it's no needed if they have not been dinged up. check for a burr where the two bushings hit each other during disassembly. try to smooth out the burr with out doing any damage to the teflon coating on the (the grey stuff).

Well I have started taking my forks apart and it is pretty easy. I cant put them back together yet because one of the springs broke. I have ordered it and I will get it Saturday and finish the job. Thanks again for all your help it was pretty easy to do.

Well I have started taking my forks apart and it is pretty easy. I cant put them back together yet because one of the springs broke. I have ordered it and I will get it Saturday and finish the job. Thanks again for all your help it was pretty easy to do.

Dude, you broke a fork spring!?!? :naughty:

I called up the Yamaha dealer the other day and talked to the service manager and he said that he isnt real sure how it broke. He said I must of landed hard on a jump after there was no oil in the forks. He wasnt real sure and neither is any one else I have talked to.