Sign in to follow this  

XR400 gearing?

I've got an XR400 that I'm turning into a supermoto/street bike but I need some suggestions for sprocket sizes. Any ideas?

Rob:

The smart guys can weigh in on your question, but you can prepare for their input by searching this forum for "gearing" threads. Someone has even developed a spreadsheet for this and it included RPM and speed variables. There is lots of detailed comment on this area.

I'd agree that a 16/40 is required if you want to carry any speed. It works well for dual sport applications to keep the buzz factor down. If you drop your rear wheel from an 18 to a 17" then you will loose some top end from that as well -- but I think you can get a 38 from AFAM or similar. Any smaller than that and I'm thinking you will start getting pretty close to the hub bolts. (The 40T is still big enough to have lightening holes stamped in it, so it is not like it looks like a micro-sprocket)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xr400/files/Gearing%20and%20Speed%20Calculator/

will let you compare the sprocket ratios for different bikes, different speeds/RPM combos, and all sprocket combinations (in all gears even). You might need to be a group member to access the group files.