Sign in to follow this  

Progressive Insurance *beware*

I just wanted to make sure that everyone here is aware of the way Progressive Insurance does business. They just closed my claim on my stolen motorcycle. They used the small print to SCREW me. Not only did they avoid paying me for all the upgrades, they didn’t even cover the loan. I still owe $1200 on my KX250F.

My only recourse was to file an “appeal”. What a wonderful option… Keep paying on the loan for the next 6 months while they put me off and in the end I still lose because they’re bigger than me.

I will NEVER use Progressive again. I thought that you would all like to know.

MAN!!! That sux serious BUTT!!! You should go down to the office and steal one of their cars and burn it. Payback is a B!*...!!!

Insurance companys are always bitches, no matter who you have. Just wait until you get in a wreck caused by someone else, they'll tell you your car totaled even though the guys at the repair shop say it's not. Then, they'll offer you nothing near what your car is worth. That's what happened to me anyways. After my experience, i am convinced that anyone who has ever worked for an auto insurance agency is going to hell when they die. They are nothing but theives.

I have State Farm and they hooked me UP!! Drop progressive and get state Farm! Paid for all my upgrades and gave me more than a fair price for my bike!!

Progressive has 2 options when it comes to comp and coll coverage.

Option 1- A actual Cash Value policy. This is where they will pay you ACV in the event of a total loss..This means they will give you what they can replace the same Vehicle for. If you did not purchase added equipment coverage they will not cover it. Sounds like this is the policy you had.

Option 2- Stated amount coverage. This is where you tell the Agent what you want to cover the vehicle for and in the event of a total loss they pay you the stated amount.

Sounds like you purchased option #1.

I second state farm, my former gf totaled her car and they actually gave her MORE than she bought it for (there were no upgrades and no personal property lost).

Funny story about Progressive: On my way home from school about 3 years ago I witnessed a Progreesive Insurance Expolorer rear end another car at an intersection. Not only was the light red for her but SHE WAS ON THE PHONE!! After that I never considered them for insuance for some reason...

Man that sucks, I just had a claim with Progressive and I was pretty happy with the service.

Unfortunatley this is not a Progressive thing, all insurance companies are the same, motorcycle and auto. They will never pay off the loan, they will only give you the actual cash value of your bike. You should always purchase GAP insurance from the dealer, bank or insurance company to cover the difference between what you owe and the value, if your bike is financed. Without GAP you'll get screwed. Upgrades are only covered for an additional premium. Your agent should have advised you....

No I dont work for Progressive, but I am in the insurance business, hope I don't go to hell :)

After my experience, i am convinced that anyone who has ever worked for an auto insurance agency is going to hell when they die. They are nothing but theives.

I am an Insurance Agent. I guess Im am going to hell for being a thief huh? :)

One more thing...Total loss claims are negotiable(at least here in Cali), The funny thing is that people don’t read their paper work, a insurance policy is like anything else BUYER BEWARE.. Know what you are buying, before you buy it. That’s what Insurance Agents are for, to answer any questions you may have.

I am an Insurance Agent. I guess Im am going to hell for being a thief huh? :)

One more thing...Total loss claims are negotiable(at least here in Cali), The funny thing is that people don’t read their paper work, a insurance policy is like anything else BUYER BEWARE.. Know what you are buying, before you buy it. That’s what Insurance Agents are for, to answer any questions you may have.

Agreed! Everyone thinks that the insurance AGENCY is the insurance COMPANY. NOT SO. Too many people worry about getting the best price regardless of what it actually covers. They can't screw you with the fine print if you don't agree to it.

insurance agents tell you the MINIMUM amount of information...just enough to get you to buy it...

...then when something happens they have all the time in the world to explain ALL THE DETAILS and f#$K you....

...they are a step above car salesmen

THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE THOUGH, and everyone is different...but...i've almost NEVER had a good experience with a claim or with an insurance company.....until i learned the secret.....

...the only way to not get FUCT by them...is to LIE to them...sounds ridiculous but it's true, you have to cover so many bases just so they can't bend you over and have their way with you.

sorry for rambling :naughty: ...and sorry to all the honest insurance salesmen

I have been lucky in the past 10 years to have great insurance through USAA.(Government/Military) But I too felt I have been screwed in the past. Now I am not a insurance agent, and I defiantly would not want their job. But I do feel the entire industry has the bad rep for a reason. Just remember boys and girls. If a price seems too good to be true.....read it again. It probably is!

I just wanted to make sure that everyone here is aware of the way Progressive Insurance does business. They just closed my claim on my stolen motorcycle. They used the small print to SCREW me. Not only did they avoid paying me for all the upgrades, they didn’t even cover the loan. I still owe $1200 on my KX250F.

My only recourse was to file an “appeal”. What a wonderful option… Keep paying on the loan for the next 6 months while they put me off and in the end I still lose because they’re bigger than me.

I will NEVER use Progressive again. I thought that you would all like to know.

did you have receipts for the upgrades or anything showing they were done because if not then i dont blame them for not givving you the extra money for the upgrades if everyone who got a bike stolen said there were upgrades than they could make up what ever to get more money now if you did have receipts then screw them

Progressive has 2 options when it comes to comp and coll coverage.

Option 1- A actual Cash Value policy. This is where they will pay you ACV in the event of a total loss..This means they will give you what they can replace the same Vehicle for. If you did not purchase added equipment coverage they will not cover it. Sounds like this is the policy you had.

Option 2- Stated amount coverage. This is where you tell the Agent what you want to cover the vehicle for and in the event of a total loss they pay you the stated amount.

Sounds like you purchased option #1.

Right. Most insurance companys operate the same way, if you want additional coverage for addon's you have to notify the ins company BEFORE you need to make a claim, otherwise they wont cover them.

As for not paying you enough to cover the loan... thats also routine, you apparently owed more on the bike than it was worth, if you have option #1 listed above, they'll only pay what the vehicle is worth, not what you owe....works the same way on cars or any other vehicle.

I am an Insurance Agent. I guess Im am going to hell for being a thief huh? :naughty:

One more thing...Total loss claims are negotiable(at least here in Cali),

Yes, you're going to hell... :naughty: Actually all of my insurance experience have been great (USAA).

This second part is VERY IMPORTANT. The number they tell you is an OFFER not a final figure. You grab all of your reciptes and shove them in their face with a number you think will make you happy (+10%) and they'll knock some off to settle with you. The goal of the insurance adjuster is to settle with you for the lowest price, it makes complete sense from the business standpoint. DO NOT SETTLE FOR THAT NUMBER, unless it compensates for you of course. I'm a fan of ripping insurance companies off about as much as they can potentially screw you.

I've only had one experience with a insurance company regarding a total loss claim, it was American Express Insurance through Costco. I showed them receipts of work that had been done and they increased the pay off. They also did a complete job of evaluation of other similar vehicles in the area to justify their payoff. In the end they even did ask me if I thought if it was a fair offer, which I guess I could have used as a open door to ask for more, but it was a fair payoff. As others have said, go back and talk to them some more and show your receipts.

I am an Insurance Agent. I guess Im am going to hell for being a thief huh? :naughty:

Sorry, but insurance agents suck balls...

If you wanted to win a popularity contest, maybe you should have investigated being a bartender at a free drink bar.

There is simply no defending the way they (you????) do business and what they charge to do it.

But we, as consumers, are stuck paying it.

I'm not a big fan of insurance either, but people also need to read the fine print and find out what they are covered for. You can't blame the agent if you didn't read the "fine" print when you signed the policy. A good agent will answer questions and sell you the correct coverage that you need including modifications to the bike (most cover up to a certain dollar amount and then anything above that is extra).

It is not the agents fault that you owe more than the bike is worth. That is the problem with 0 down and low payments for 5 years. By the time you pay off the bike it is worthless and you could have bought 2 of them for what you pay in interest.

I have Geico on my bikes and they have always been great from my point of view. Never had an issue with them and they have always been there for me. Best experience I have ever had with an insurance company on several instances.

I used to do body and paint work and for some reason State Farm was always the hardest to work with :naughty:

Sorry, but insurance agents suck balls...

If you wanted to win a popularity contest, maybe you should have investigated being a bartender at a free drink bar.

There is simply no defending the way they (you????) do business and what they charge to do it.

But we, as consumers, are stuck paying it.

You suck balls...

How do insurance agents do business huh??? Agents sell a product, you as the consumer get a quote for a service, if you don't want it DONT BUY IT, its pretty simple.

A good agent will explain the basics, but it's not the job of the agent to explain every detail about an insurance policy. The insurance company sends you a copy of the policy. (You know, that thing that nobody reads...) It explains everything you need to know about your coverage, if you think an agent is going to spend a couple of hours reading and explaining every detail about that, your crazy. You can take your $50 commision and shove it! :naughty:

Again if you don't like insurance agents dont buy insurance, you'll sure wish you did when your bike gets jacked.

Read your policy people, if your confused, call you agent and ASK QUESTIONS, your investment depends on it.