breaking in my new bike

ok awesome thanks heaps - also can any one tell me some mods i can perform on an aussie standard wr - already put new DEP pipe and vortex ignition on (dam i love that ignition first tim start) had a look through the mods page but all seem to be american issue wr mods.

wat about us lil guys down under ey.

cheers

ceps

I'm not a fan of breaking in a new motor by "riding it like you stole it". IMHO, that's a cult myth that sprung up from some engine rebuilders that paid a little too much attention to factory race mechanics at supercross races. Unless you know exactly what tolerances work with that type of break-in, and unless you have the budget to rebuild your top end every race, I'd take it a little easy on that motor for the first few tankfuls.

IMHO

Re-grease all the bearings.

Do not over rev or bog down the engine.

Do not keep the engine at constant rpm.

The first rides should allow the engines to reach normal operating temperature at different rpm under variable loads.

Change oil and filter at 100 km / 200 km / and after what interval you decide to go from the shop manual.

The shop manual as good info.

The rest is up to you ? enjoy

I check nuts and bolts, fluid levels. I ride around for 2 minutes and change the oil and filter.

Its broken in.

Life is to short to ride around like a girl for 2 hours.

Definitely take a few minutes to check bolts for tightness. I've owned two new WRs (an '04 that dealer swore would be green stickered and an '05 with a green sticker). Both of them had something fall off within the first few tanks. On the '04, the pipe insert fell off (not the end of the world). On the '05, one of the bolts holding on the front number plate fell off. You'd think I'd have learned to check everything after the first time.