Sign in to follow this  

dual sport security..what do you do?

I am going to be getting my bike plated very soon and am wondering what you guys with plated bikes do security wise? have any of you installed a key or a atv teather cord as key? thanks for any info :)

My Baja Designs DS kit just has a switch so I carry a lock and put it through a hole in the rear sproket around the chain, this is good for short stops. If I'm staying overnight then the 20' hardened chain comes out with 3 locks and I lock it directly to my truck.

Switches are so easily bypassed that only the least experienced thief would be stopped by one. It also does nothing to stop someone from throwing the bike in the back of a pickup and driving off with it to bypass the switch later.

Treat it like a mountain bike and lock it to something.

Yea, I got a Key installed on mine. Its ok, not the best security though, like JamesD said.

Also lock the steering.

Two wire ignition switches like that on the XR650L are of marginal value since any crackhead can defeat those by cutting or joining the wires. I was discussing this on another forum, and apparently the CRF230 switch has 4 wires which is more promising (you can open the power to the CDI and close the kill wires in the off position) which is more of a challenge for the lowlife. Haven't priced one out yet.

Insurance! It's to easy for a couple of guys to just pick a bike up and put it in the back of a van or truck. Even if it's chained to something most locks can be cut fairly easy.

Get yourself a shotgun.

Don't forget the ammo :)

The disc lock works OK until you forget to remove it :)

The majority of bike thefts are done by someone picking the bike up and throwing it in a truck, not riding it away. My GSX-R750 was stolen this way :) . Er back to the point, thieves look for an easy snag. If they see your bike locked to a truck, they won't bother with it becuase its too risky. if they see a bike sitting by it self in a corner, they'll be all over it. Most importantly, if they want your bike they will get your bike. No chain, security system or special electronics can stop this.. so get insurance. The trick is to put your bike in situations that make it too risky to steal.

Two old sayings:

"If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet."  ($10 bought more back in the day.  1970's.)

"Something is better than nothing."

Marginal alarms... something is better than nothing.   The cost of these alarms is under $10, some under $5.    The goal is to give someone an "oh crap" moment if you are in a store with the bike parked out front.   This is not protection for parking a bike while you are at work or overnight stays.   I usually carry a personal alarm (last link) and a pad lock.   With a pad lock, I can lock the chain onto the rear sprocket.   Easy to break with tools, not so easy to roll away.   Mainly as a precaution should I break down on the roads.

I picked up an ABC lock for my bikes.  $3.49, I got what I paid for.

Pro: Combination

Con:  Press any key to silence it.   Siren is wimpy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc8gSLGdD2c

Vibration Alarm   $6

Pro: Alarm buzzer is loud.   It can be 100% concealed and the remote works.  (Not IR, but wireless remote.)   I would have shown it inside the airbox, but some idiot would do that and when the alarm box trashed the air filter and ruined the engine. I'd get blamed.  Don't put it in the airbox.

Con:  Reacts to fast sharp movements, not slow movements.  Sometimes I could push my XR400 to vertical without setting it off.    I may crack open my $6 vibration alarm and see if I can make it smaller and more portable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rel7IpQ4pk

Vibration Alarm (different brand)

Pro:  The guy in the video removed the "plastic box" and made it easier to hide.

Con:  If you don't protect the alarm somehow,  it will get trashed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMas_3PNLJA

Motorcycle alarm on eBay

Not sure if this is any better or worse.   It could be tied into the battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Scooter-Security-Vibration-Sensor-Alarm-System-Anti-theft-Remote-Cont-/390574855628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af01355cc

Personal alarm on eBay

The alarm goes off when the pin is pulled, which takes some effort.   I swap in a nair or zip tie for the pin.   Then I add some black string or fishing line.  If the bike is rolled, the line attached to the spokes, pulls the pin.  The downside is if they are rolling the bike, they will just roll it faster. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Personal-Panic-Alarm-System-With-LED-Light-Keychain-New-/200954051295?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item2ec9cb7adf

Edited by Kev_XR

My XR250L has a lock integrated into the stem, it locks the fork in the far left position. This makes the bike very difficult to push around. This is a very cool feature but probably not available on a dirt bike that was plated. The lock is controlled by the ignition key. The fact that the bike is kick start only also deters many thieves.

Edited by jg83

Pretty sure thieves break the steering locks with regularity. 

Locks keep honest people honest.   They only slow professional thieves.

Locks are for avoiding a "ride off" or "opportunity thefts".  Watch BAIT CAR on TV and you get the idea.

In San Francisco, the method of choice is to pull up a van, 4 people pick up the bike and load it into the van.    Best deterrent is not leaving the bike there for a long time.   Have insurance.   Park next to bikes that are easier to steal.   Park next to bikes that are move valuable.

No one cares about car alarms, but it would give someone pushing off your bike that "people know I'm moving the bike" reaction.  And it alerts you.

IMHO, the best protection is "not seen".   I put tarps over my bikes, so you can't see them if the garage door is open.

• Like 1