Sign in to follow this  

chinese xr200 copies

has anyone done a test on any of all those chinese 125-200 dirt bikes that are all over the place (ebay, auto parts stores , etc.). they are so cheap it seems like they'd be a good beginner bike. anyone with any experience? mikey

I have friends who have chinese knock offs of the xr 70 and the crf 150's. So far so good they say they are fun and no problems. I myself dont think they are such a bad bike.. I figure if a dad or mom wants to get a bike for them and the kids and they dont have alot of money, its perfect. Some might disagree but if it gets someone a taste of the fun I have on my xr650 and my son on his crf 150 then Im all for it.

I don't like them personally, but remember the Japs once did this exact thing to Europe, copying the european bikes, making them out of plastic and selling them for next to nothing (then most of the european companies went bust). Japanise bikes were once sh*t too. They will get better. my 0.02c.

I have two concerns in regards to this topic based on my experience with China. First they are notorious for stealing designs and not paying royalties due. Second, they do a very poor job in metallurgical control. I realize these are just play bikes and should not be ridden hard, but based on product that I have designed and then seen produced in China, it is just terrible. I would not let my kid ride one of these things. I just imagine a frame failure and seeing my kid going down hard. These are two reasons for their low cost as well as the low labor rates their. As the old saying states; "buyer beware".

I have an xr80 knock-off I bought for nephew to ride when he is in town. It has a nice honda motor in it, but the mechanical parts are very cheap. We have already broken both break levers, the suspension is wiped out, and when I first got it, for some reason, the pin that holds the float in the carb kept getting bent during warm up, and I had to open it up and fix it. Having said all that, believe it or not, I am still happy with bike. I was just looking for something for him to ride twice a year. I bought it brand new for $600. I found plenty of parts on ebay for next to nothing. front forks and rear shock both for $60. Now I stay off the bike and they will probably last longer. As far as the bigger bikes go, I have seen them in a local shop, at first glance they look nice. Have a seat on it, the whole thing must be concrete and steal. I thought about one for my wife, to see if she might catch the riding bug without digging to deep in the wallet, but there is no way she could throw that beast around.

My final opinion is, they are OK for what I needed one for, but if you are looking for something that will be ridden every day, you get what you pay for!

I have a 200cc copy. Been riding it pretty hard for about 2 months. Runs great and its been through some pretty rough stuff. Rear shock is shot and clutch handle broke when it fell over. But overall, its a good bike for the money - have $700 in it and ride with cr125 and 250's all the time, keeps up. Im happy with my purchase, good trail bike and small jumps. Its a $700 brand new bike, come one, you know what your buying. I have had no mech probs. just fyi.

HORRIBLE IDEA. a student of mine that rides with us got one new and within 6 months it was completely trashed from trail riding. i mean trashed. trashed. everything on it broke and was hard to replace. i felt very bad for him. he should have bought a 5 year old xr. seriously. in 2 years the xr would have been the same.

If you want a good laugh, and I mean GOOD Laugh, read pingers article in whatever magazine he writes for (maybe transworld, or racerx). It was all a spoof for the most part, acting like he was going to get sponsered by one of these chinese companies for his comeback. The bike was a total piece, he tried to ride it at Glen Helen and it couldn't even make it up the hill. I laughed so hard i was in tears, it is a must read. As far as the bike though, as long as your willing to piss away 600 bucks for something that probably won't last very long, go for it.

do a search there was a guy on here a while back that had a huge thread going on one that he bought and it was really detailed from wen he first got it and he gave updates everytime he rode it

80% of the country runs on the "looks like, smells like...MUST BE!!" principle to make stuff.

Their concept of hard riding is not yours...trust me. As for the keeping up with CRFs and the like...maybe you are a better rider.

I rode "The VIPER" 200cc perimeter framed "MX" bike at the factory...shit-ass welds and all. Slow as a dog (mainly because it's oddball gearing is WAY too high) and the tires are the worst ever made.

Yes the price is right but so what. The country is capable of making far better, but they still would need to know what to do with it.

They don't really understand the criteria. :thumbsup: And that is a good thing. It keeps us employed.

I rode a 200cc Chinese knock off once I think it was called "Jet Moto" or something. The gearing was very tall and the jetting was way off (main jet). The pilot was okay and the bike started fast with the button or the kicker, but that was about it for the highlights. The bike was bought to be a dual sport/trail ride bike. My moms cousin got frustrated and bought a Harley for the street and a YZ 250 for the trails. The Chinese bike just sits in the garage collecting dust...wouldn't be surprised if he burns it.