Sign in to follow this  

chain guide

chain guide, anyone abuse there's? what do you use for a replacement? will one from a cr work? I kinda want to shy away from the aluminum ones as I have heard that they are prone to break and then you are screwed as apposed to the nylon ones that flex.

There is nothing better than the stock XR chain guide. It is superior to the CR guide for off-road work. It is also superior to any aftermarket guide.

Anything wrapped in aluminum will bend on taking a hit from a rock/boulder and then work to wear the rear sprocket or the chain.

- jeff

There is no reason to use anything but the stock honda piece in this case (including cost).

FYI - the rubber chain block on the bottom can be flipped over to get twice as much wear out of it. At service honda, this part can be had for $6.43.

The main part of the guide, the white plastic piece, is pretty indestructable, if you ever do break it - you can get a new one from service honda for $16.52. BTW, I have replaced one because it "got ugly" - I have never broken one or had one fail on the trail (in 18 years).

Part numbers :

Rubber Slider Block - 51247-kn5-005

Chain Guide (white plastic piece) - 52146-kt1-770

- jeff

I had one of the white suckers break -- it failed around the threaded inserts that take the mounting bolts. This was on an earlier XR (1990 vintage) and I think they have updated the part to include some more webbing in that area (the part number doesn't end in 670, so it has been updated). I've had an XR of some sort or another with one of these since about 1989, so one failure in that period isn't bad.

thanks Jeff, I did not know they could be had so cheap. I like the stock one, don't want aluminum. mine is not broke. just chewed up a bit from rocks.

thanks again.