Riding in Colorado

I'm planning to do some riding in the Pike forest area at Thanksgiving and was wandering if there are any Colorado riders who ride there, and what are some of your favorite areas/trails.

Also I've heard your supposed to have a off-road sticker to ride there. Is this neccessary? I.E. have you ever been stopped by a Ranger looking for this? TB

The two areas that you might be able to ride are Rampart Range and Woodland Park. Both are great woods trails areas. Make sure you have maps for both, it is easy to get lost if you do not know your way around.

I say you might be able to ride because there is a good chance it will be snowed in by that time. We usually get a couple of big snow storms by Thanksgiving. But I have ridden during that weekend up there before.

As for the sticker, it wouldn't hurt to have one but I doubt you would get in trouble for not having it.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.

(Except the dampner ?)

Yes, you are supposed to have a green sticker to ride in Colorado (or a plate). However, the chance you would run into a ranger over Thanksgiving (assuming you can ride up there anyway) is very slim.

Do you feel lucky?

I'd say you have a much higher chance of being snowed in than you have of getting caught without a green sticker.

Bryan...

• 2 weeks later...

If it is snowed in, I used to ride down west of Pueblo at Pueblo motorsports park. Its a quick drive down, and the snow there isn't too bad. It a few square miles of pretty fun trails and big hillclimbs. A local dealer will know of its still open. I haven't lived there in Colorado for a couple of years.

Keith

Originally posted by gempler:

...I used to ride down west of Pueblo at Pueblo motorsports park...

Sure, it's still there! They call it PMI. You exit the main North Pueblo Exit (I think it is hwy 50), and go west to the outskirts of town, veer left and it is your first right hand turn. Hard to miss. The place is huge.

Another, more aggressive place is Texas Creek. It's west of Canon City on the North side of the Arkansas river.

Jake