Sign in to follow this  

Carburator removal xr 400 ???

i need to take off my carb to give it a good clean but i cant seem to get it off . do i have to take the rear sub frame off to get to it, or is there an easier way to do so ? thanx for you time .

The easiest way is to pull the sub-frame. Haven't tried it on my xr250r - but on some other bikes you can remove seat, remove the bottom bolts and then loosen, but do not remove the top bolts. Then swing the whole afair up and forward. You will need to loosen the carb boot, etc.

- jeff

remove the sub frame it should not take more than 20 minutes to pull the carb. what is it 10 or 12 bolts??

Other people (myself included) have removed the carb by taking the three bolts out that hold the intake manifold to the head and leaving the subframe in place -- the downside of doing it this way is that you have to be careful to ensure the o-ring in the manifold stays in the appropriate groove as you put it back together. So either way - whatever you find easier.

i just yank the carb straight out

it got too much space as compare to those machine with the e-starter

:)

just went through this on my 04' xr400. the fisrt time i lowered the sub-frame. the second time i removed the intake, which was much easier. be very careful when reinstalling the intake not to nic the intake gasket (oval shaped o ring). would be best just to replace the intake gasket

i use a hair dryer to heat the rubber airbox-carb boot. it get real soft and then i fold it inwards. carb pulls out backwards from the rubber carb-motor boot. no concerns with additional o-rings and such, as nothings, but the carb, come of the bike. takes less than 5 minutes to warm the rubber up!

I never remove the subframe or intake manifold. the trick is to remove the crankcase breather hose and pull the air box boot as far back as you can. carefully twist and position and you can get it out.

when I remove the subframe I leave the top bolt in place. I loosen it and pivot the subframe up and hold it in place with a bungy cord wrapped through the cross bar.