Why do people say the YZ426 is hard to start??

I dont think "not knowing the starting drill" or "bad maintenance" is always the problem. Cold weather, dumping the bike over, and stalling it can cause greif when trying to fire it back up again. My bike always starts for me unless one of these things happens. Then it can be a pig to start.

Because when your in a race, and just layed it down getting it lit and doing the drill is no fun. Or if you stall it on a hill, and you need to do the drill on a slope, it's no fun. I have no problems with the driill on the stand, but on the trail and track it's a different story.

Hey guys, don’t confuse ease with consistency, there’s a big difference between the 426 and 450 in that respect.

I’ve had both, the 426 was the most consistent starting bike I’ve ever had, the 450 is by far the easiest. No comparison on starting, the auto decomp cam makes it effortless (and brainless, forget the “drill”). Big difference when stalling the bike also, most of the time you can bump start the 450 before you even stop moving.

The 426 is an awesome bike, but weight and starting were the huge differences when the 450’s came out.