Sign in to follow this  

Tt500 Back Shocks

I Want To Change One Of My Tt500 So My Son Can Have One.he Is So Tall That He Looks Stupid When He Sits On It I Have Seen In Pics That People Have Put Longer Shocks On.what Are The Best Shocks To Put On For More Height .and Can I Use Any Shocks As Long As They Have Eyes Both Ends.cheers

Progressive Suspension makes some for it that are much better than the stockers but nothing at all compared to Race Performance. Then again the Race Performances cost more than the bike does. I'd check out the PS's you can't go wrong on them, they even look nice on them. I used them on bikes that were just play 4 strokers my racers had the good stuff. prairiedawg :)

I have progressives on mine, they really jacked up the rear end, but are good shocks. Works performance are really good too, just expensive.

As stated above the Progressives work OK and fit up real nice. They do not compare to the performance of the Works shocks but they are more than adequate for most trail riding. Especially if you are staying with the stock front end.

If you want to spend the money then the Works shocks are hard to beat. With an RM S/A and modified shock mounts I run a set of 15 3/4" Works shocks on my 500 and get incredible performance from them. A pair of later KX 500 forks and disc brake balances the package well. Oh yeah, if you want it to carve the corners pull the rake back 3° or so...

If you want to go budget then get a pair of shocks off the old Suzuki PE 175/250/400-they are not in the same league as the aftermarket stuff but depending on what you want to do they will work fine for playriding.They are long which means you will have to jack up the front end to suit-Yamaha TT600 front end with the disc brake is good,press the centre out of the XT triple clamp and press it into the TT triple clamp-just check on how it is all held together so you dont break something when you press it out.

Cheers,

Brandon.

Junkyard, could you give us a little more info on using the KX500 front end. What years do I need to look for and what do you need to modify. Thanks

Try trolling ebay for used Works Performance or Fox Shox. Both are rebuildable. Most any 38mm long travel fork will be better than the stock TT forx. I put a 38mm Marzocchi (sic?) front end on one of mine with a shortened RM 400 Swingarm and now it's as good as it's gonna get.

I've done a few different front ends on TT500s but my favorite front end and the one I use on my own machine is from an '86 KX500. The install is rather straight forward and the performance is about the best you can get without a cartridge. The steering stem is about a half inch longer but the diameters match the stock stem. I make a small spacer on my lathe to raise the bottom bearing up off the bottom clamp about a quarter inch or so and allow the installation of stock TT seal under the bottom brng. I also use this opportunity to toss the loose balls for a timken style bearing. I also lathe the top brng area of the stem so I can push the top brng down farther to fit the shorter neck of the TT frame. Another spacer is made on the lathe to go between the top brng and the nut. Now just finish assembling. The forks are easy to dial in because they are already real close and are easily adjustable. You can even get aftermarket upgrade parts for them so you can zero them in to perfect. The KX disc brake is good enough I can do stoppies or nose wheelies without too much effort...