Sign in to follow this  

husaberg what they don't want you to know

Husaberg claims to be a world class company making world class machines at a world class price. From my experience this isn't entirely true. I have a 2002 Fe501e that has been eating 350.00 worth of ignitions every 15 hours or so of use. I'm told that the ignition cant take to much heat. So I'm supposed to believe that the engineers at husaberg consider this to be up to world class standards. Do you think they ever rode an enduro in the heart of America. The thing that really makes me madd is this isn't a new problem for them. If you look at enough web sites you will find out that its been a problem all along and they do seem to think they should do anything about it. Now KTM finally told them they have to use there ignition system. That should be a good thing since my brothers 2002 KTM 520 has never quit. Any body else having the same problem..

i ride a 2003 husaberg fe 400 sometimes,not all the time as i have other bikes.my bike has 32.2 hours on it.been in 3 races.it has not missed a beat.the oil has been changed every 2 or 3 rides and the air filter cleaned ,1 set of rear brake pads and 2 valve adjustments.hell my girlfreind is much more maintainence.i am sorry to hear you are losing so many stators ,and we do sell stators so it is not like you are the only one that has ever lost one.but some people get 4 or 5 or more years before they need a new stator.sometimes the luck of the draw is the only thing one can grasp. starting a husaberg smear campaign will not solve anything and certainly does not help resale value.starting in 2004 husaberg switched to an ignition and carb that ktm also uses and i have not had any one call for any of those ignition parts.a new 2005 husabergeven has a one year warranty.what other race machine manufacturer offers that!i am sure the honda dealer sells a lot more valves than we do husaberg stators.dan.

Sem ignitions are prone to failure , they cant take heat , no wonder ktm installed the kokustan on current models , my 1998 fs650 would munch a stator often even though i did the recommended cleaning .my 2 cents .

Damn!! Years of people not saying ANYTHING in order to keep this dark secret, and in one little post, the reputation is forever soiled. Sorry if my sarcasm is showing, but it always cracks me up when on these threads absolute truths happen. These issues are just like any other "world class" company trying to do their best, even Honda. Did you know about their little CRF secret, yea, as it turns out the CRANK has to be replaced every xxx hours, does this take them out of world class status? Competition level technology is different than your basic trail bike stuff, and its not uncommon for a manufacturer to push the envelope in order to gain advantages. I've seen no less than 8 blown up CRF's in the last year, should they stop calling themselves "world class"? Truly sorry to hear that you have this reoccuring problem, could you relocate the box to a cooler spot? Direct airflow towards that area? Has ANYONE fixed this, or does everyone just keep quiet to contain the dirty secret. OOOPS, there's that pesky sarcasm again.

The cover on the ignition leaks, you have to clean it after every ride. Yes its a pesky little maintenance thing, but not that big of a deal. I never had a problem with my 02 fe501e. Besides I thought that parts availablity was the big bad problem everyone tryed to stomp Husaberg with, sounds like getting the parts you need isn't a problem at all. Dirt bike mag's new issue says the new berg 450 is great. :naughty:

Husaberg claims to be a world class company making world class machines at a world class price. From my experience this isn't entirely true. I have a 2002 Fe501e that has been eating 350.00 worth of ignitions every 15 hours or so of use. I'm told that the ignition cant take to much heat. So I'm supposed to believe that the engineers at husaberg consider this to be up to world class standards. Do you think they ever rode an enduro in the heart of America. The thing that really makes me madd is this isn't a new problem for them. If you look at enough web sites you will find out that its been a problem all along and they do seem to think they should do anything about it. Now KTM finally told them they have to use there ignition system. That should be a good thing since my brothers 2002 KTM 520 has never quit. Any body else having the same problem..

I have never heard of only getting 15 hours use out of a 02 Berg stator. Are you sure? In 04 the stators were switched from SEM units to Kukosan. The average life of a SEM seems to be about 4 years. It is absolutely essential that every time you wash the bike remove the ignition cover and dry the water from it. Spray a light coat of WD40 and remove the excess with a paper towel. Your SEM stator will live a fairly long life if this ritual is adhered to. If you frequent water crossings many have drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the ignition cover using a small plug. Use silicone sealant where the sheath begins to wrap the wires together.

This does not only apply to Husabergs. You should do the above maintenance to all bikes after washing to stop the ingress of water into the stator which will shorten its life span.

I have only recently replaced the stator on my 01 470FX and my 97 600 stator is still going strong as is the stator on my 05 FE450.

A dry stator is a happy stator.

Good advice Husabutt,

" a dry stator is a happy stator" pretty much sums it up. This mirrors what a mechanic in a long term Berg dealership taught me. Keep it clean, 1200wet and dry the metal surfaces with wd40 0r crc556 to keep them corrosion free and you will have a long stator life. I have seen more old SEMs replaced in KTM SCs than Bergs. But 15 hours? i would be looking elsewhere but the stator

1200 wet and dry on the metal surfaces will certainly keep them nice and shiny and the corrosion at bay. I use a grey Scotch Brite pad but like the 1200 idea. Once the metal starts to corrode it probably pushes the plastic back ever so slightly and thats where I think the water gets in.

I am super paranoid about my stator getting wet. Changing the oil after every ride and drying the stator should be on the front page of the owners manual in bold print.

VOR's use the SEM ignition and the only failures I have seen were due to moisture.

1999 husabergs got a new sem ignition setup , ran cooler than prior years, 1998 and prior were junk.

"World class" Wow....

I have had 3 Bergs 01,02,04 and run them year round in Arizona. In the summer ambient ride temps are always over 100F (even at night). All I ride is single track and jeep roads at slower paces. I have never lost a stator yet. I do all of the maintenance above (except on the 04 of course).

You may have other issues.

Moisture will kill the stator due to corrosion, but Dale Lineweaver has mentioned vibration as another killer of stators. Are your swingarm bushings, steering stem bearings, and motor mounts all ok? Agree with berger that something else is killing your stators

dan

well i don't think you make things better by ripping the piss boys....

so my sympathies go to btb because i know what it's like to have someone empty your pockets. for me, i have yet to have mine go after 3+ years. i drilled the bottom of the cover and put a split pin in the hole loose, scotch brited the ignition, smeared it in vasolene, new ignition wire tube, doubled it over at the top like a shepherds crook, zip tied it, mastik'd the cover on and the wiring entrance to cover and that is it.

my advice is to 'win' one on european ebay for £45 ($100).

i knew when i went to a small manufacturer to be different that life overall would be harder. it has-just.

but UHE has saved me money as well. that's what these groups are all about.

can i ask; if you ever knew of UHE husaberg.org or did you just know of here (TT)?

Taffy

I had on 02-fe501, over 90 hours and no ignition problems, yes always remove cover and dry and clean out if it gets wet, do this on all bikes!.

Kraig

I ran my '96 FE600E for over 15,000 miles and 6 years on the the original stator, although I did go through several sets of cam rocker arm roller tips.

Looks like the majority have spoken!

SEM stators are delicate when it comes to moisture. There been around for since the 70's and haven't changed that much. I've had one fail on me after only a few hours on a 1997 KTM. I kept the replacement dry and never had a future problem.

Just the process of heating and cooling the engine will cause condensation inside the sealed engine cases. The only real way to ensure moisture doesn't attack your SEM stator windings is to remove the engine case and leave it detached until you go for your next ride. This is a pain in the A$$!

When bikes are built for reliability and not purely performance, running a oil wet type ignition is the key EG: XR's. But that isn't the primary goal of the manufactures in todays performance driven market.

The latest Japanese ignitions/stators are very good but still do occasionally fail.

Overall, Your Berg is world class :naughty:

Maybe I'm just a little over suspicious but BTB101 seems like a classic "Berg basher"

BTB101's very first post and its a ridiculous bash. 15 hours on a stator and toast, yeah right. Hmmmmmmmm......... the style reminds me of the Berg basher that goes by the name of ............................

Don't worry about me starting the great husaberg smear campaign that will hurt resale.The same bike just sold on EBAY for only 2600.00 . The same year ktms are going for over 4000.00. It sure looks like these motorcycle company's should take a page from the auto makers and do recalls on things that were not right from the factory. I bet it would help future sales .

To those that think that I'm only here to bash the berg. Most of the bike is as good as it gets and its not so much the bike that I'm unhappy with as i am with a company that just didn't solve a long lasting problem. A reliable ignition should be very high on the list of things to have on any brand and it sure seems like they missed it or choose to ignore it. It looks like it took ktm to grab them by the neck and tell them how it should be done. How about a replacement part not made by SEM.

Yeah...those KTM's are indestructable. They are truly the pinnacle of modern technology and craftmanship. They would never knowingly sell a bad or defective product. Wow....and talk about standing behind there product and taking care of their customers.

Now that KTM is calling the shots perhaps Husaberg will indeed be "world class"

And now if you will excuse me it's time for my medication :naughty: