Want a new a bike, New to Enduro racing

Hello, My name is Corey Palmatier, and this is my first post on this most excellent forum. I am not new to riding, although I don't currently own my own atv or dirtbike. My cousins have many quads, and a few dirtbikes, so that is how I learned, and we always ride when I go up north. I'm 19 years old, and I weight about 210 lbs, this may influence which bike is better. My question is, which would be a better bike to ride the wooded trails on the weekend, and race in enduro/hare scramblers. I am looking at the WRF line, and I really like these bikes compared to the others. I am trying to decide which size, the 250 or the 450. I am used to riding a 250, my cousin lets me ride his ttr-250, and the bike is great, I learned on a ttr-125 and because I am a tall (6 foot 1) rider, me riding that bike was like a monkey trying to screw a football if you get my drift. I am very confident on the 250, but if I decide to race enduro's (which I have never done, got to start somewhere) I was wondring which bike would be the better investment. I am buying it with my money, brand new, and I want a bike that will last me a long time, something I can take to the trails and have a fun time with it, and also tear it up at the races. in a year or two, after I get confortable, me and my cousin want to do a big enduro, like the dakar rally, or something big like that, but we want to work up to it. I'll admit I am leaning toward the 250, the light weight makes me beleive I will be able to handle it better. For a long time I wanted the ttr-250, like my cousin, then I saw the klx-300r, and I fell in love with it initially, before I really dug into the specs of the bike. That constant velocity carb, and the gearbox qoes I've read about, and hear about from riders left me looking for a better bike. My family loves yamaha, (even though both my dad and uncle raced suzuki bikes whene they where my age). We choose yamaha for bikes, and honda for the quads. kinda just how it worked out. Although we do have the rhino 660, and that thing is fun for a side x side. Back to the bikes, I was looking at the bikes on yammies website, and found the wr250f, and I really fell in love. the more I read about it, the more I like it. Do you guys think this bike is good for my first bike (that I own) with someone comming from another ttr, and looking for relaxing trail rides with friends, and fierce racing down the road. What do you guys think - should I go with my instincs, and go with the 250? Thanks guys for whatever insight you can give me on the bike choice. I have one more question, and this pertains to the races themselves. As I understand, they races are long races that arnt on closed oval/mx tracks, but through the woods, with check points. I ahve never been to one, or seen one other than on the internet. I live near albany, new york, so I have to travel about 45 minutes to hit some trail networks, and more than an hour to hit some really good trails up in the adirondacks. Anybody race and live close to albany, any one ride, and live close to albany? Thanks for the info guys (and girls).

corey,

first of all, welcome to thumpertalk. your post, by the widest of all possible margins, is the BEST first post i've ever had the pleasure to read on this site. you've told us what you want to do with your new bike, what kind of prior biking experiences you've had, and some very essential data about your height and weight. to all of you "lurkers" out there -- this is how you do it folks! -- not by asking what pipe is the loudest.

that said, in your lengthy post you only note one bike that will be competetive in enduro, and that's the WRF. furthermore, at your skill level and considering the wooded eastern trails, i would not recommend that you get the 450F. the 450F is a handful on tight trails, and without prior experience with 45HP on tap you are going to paste a tree at a speed where you are going to get very hurt. but don't worry, the 250F provides plenty of tree pasting power, but is more nimble and more forgiving of right hand stupidity.

in summary, the WR250F is an excellent choice for enduro work. on the east coast circuit you will see WRF's, tons of KDX's, and tons of KTM's. the other 4 stroke 250cc options are the CRF250/X from honda (very capable but some first year teething problems) and the RMZ/KX250F from suzuki/kawasaki (ditto on the capable but some first year issues).

grab a WR250F, get some barkbusters, and find a decent C or B class rider on your minute who knows how to keep time. ride your first enduro without worrying about keeping time, just stay with the guy you started with. don't pass him. if he trophies, so will you. your goal on your first enduro is to finish the course. the goal on your second enduro is to finish without hour'ing out. later you can figure out what computer you want to keep time with, that's the art of the enduro -- keeping track of time and your position relative to the next checkpoint.

you'll not need to do much to a WRF to run enduros -- it's pretty much a race bike right out of the crate.

see

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1342_sm.jpg

ps:

get a bike and we'll meet up out in michigan for a trail ride:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169731

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I don't think me or anyone else on TT could have answered that better. If you are used to a TTR250, a WR250f will not be a big wake-up call, but instead a pleasantly powerful suprise. The handling will be the most different. The TTR hasn't been remodeled for years and it handles that way. Like a early 90's big bore 4-stroke, but the power of an even earlier bike. But the way I am speaking of it; trash talking it for not being able to do something it wasn't designed for, is not right. It wasn't meant to keep up with modern bikes with high compression.

The WR is nearly a YZ. (If you were to compare the two side-by-side, you will notice how similar they are) The MX bikes are designed to handle and the bike companies have finally realized that it is easier (and the bike is better) if they make their trail bikes converted motocrossers. Yamaha has done this the best. Honda has altered almost the entire bike which has made their 250/450x stay like more of a trail bike and not act like something in between. Yamaha's WR can turn into a motocrosser and compete with a change of a pipe, free mods, and not much else. What I'm trying to say is that since motocrossers handle and have more power than trail bikes, having a trail bike that closely resembles a motocrosser, but still has all the trail capabilities is an important key.

The power on the WR is spread throughout the rev range making it a bike for everyone. Also, it can be easily made to work like the YZ by fixing or undoing some that Yamaha has done to make it a trail bike. Lastly, the suspension on the WR is softer than the YZ which is really good for woods riding.

A 450 is a much heavier bike and doesn't have the friendliness of the 250. I personally like the 250 more, but that is just me. I hope this helps and that I didn't confuse you too much.

Thanks guys for the info! Right now i'm in college for mechanical engineering, but after this semester is over, I am going back to working as an industrial electrician for a few year, I'm not ready to grow up and get a desk job, and I seem to have been born with a gift for all things electrical (and mechanical). On the up side the insane amount of fundage produced from working a union job will make it possible for me to get the bike I have been wanting. :naughty: I've decided on the 250, your right, the 250 will be enough power for me, plus the light and nimble part will be nice. If it handles better than the yammie ttr then I am in for some treat! I really wasn't able to take turns as tight as I imagined on that bike. I am looking foward to owning my first bike. I may not be able to get it for a couple of months, but I hope it isn't too far down the road. Wrooster, you will be one of the first people I tell about the new bike, and I'll definately make time to go to michigan and check out the riding there. Again, thanks guys for the info.

Corey Palmatier