The Snatch

For years now I've been looking at this super steep hill that I call the Snatch. It's some kind of a freak of geology where a deposit of granular material got placed on the side of a very steep solid rock canyon with a creek at the bottom that keeps eroding the toe of the slope away. I've come up the creek from the bottom and down from the top seeing if it's possible to get out if a person was to ride down the Snatch. The two ways out using the creek are impassable as it's just to rugged. This last weekend I thought maybe a line could be cut into the other hillside as a way out. I found an old game trail and with alot of work it will be possible and I've started cutting and digging. Now the only question is who will be the first rider to go down the Snatch. I know it won't be me. I'm going to put in an entry point half way down and maybe try it there. This hill is very steep.Looking up the Snatch Looking down the Snatch The whole Snatch I can't wait to congratulate the guy who successfully rides the Snatch for the first time.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one awesone hill!! :naughty:

Reminds me of one that we used to descend in our younger days at the gravel pit back home.

chris1.jpg

Except your looks longer and steeper. I would like to be there to watch it myself. Not sure I would volunteer to be the first... Might get up there and pee me panties :naughty:

Tristan

That loose sluff at the bottom is going to make it real tough to get enough momentum to clear the super steep stuff at the top. How consolidated is the "rock" near the top that is not covered in sluff? If this is near Penticton then I am having second thoughts of riding with you this summer:) Big hills are not my forte but I love to try them. I ride with a couple of morons who may think that they can clear the snatch, but for me it is likely that I will be going down on the snatch. :naughty:

I haven't come across many snatches I didn't want to have a go at, but that one definately qualifies.

I'd give it whirl on a snowmobile, but on a dirt bike, NO WAY. You'd have to be certifiable.

Waxy

I think Guy Perrett is your man.

just heard sunday though that he has had surgery on his leg after an injury that occurred while filming another movie he was taking part in and his body rejected the titanium rod.

I guess I need to make something clear. The Snatch is a down line only nothing will be coming up the Snatch. It will be interesting to see if it gets done this summer. I will take anyone who is serious about giving it a try to it's location after I finish the route out. When I get cut and dug out I'll post a picture of my CRF at the bottom of the Snatch.

You're trying to get us to ride down your snatch, the Hawaiians had me to ride into their SNATCH. I think Trav is your man! He'll take on the snatch and any other bush covered trail you put in front of him! :naughty:

Loynz, you have been spending a lot of time on the island. Is there a move planned in the very near future? :naughty:

Well Red, I gotta hand it to you. You've just reached the point of insanity. :naughty: I live by this rule. I only cut what I ride. I think you should send pics of your first attempt at that giant stinking snatch! I can hear bones snapping all the way from Hawaii! I guess that would rule out any future of us riding together... :D

If I had to choose someone it would be Guy Perret. I saw a very similar area up in Canada and the guys told me Guy would charge it. I thought what a psychotic muthaf**ker!!!!!! I see a trip to the hospital with that narrow area into the creek. But don't get me wrong... I WANT SOMEONE TO CHARGE IT! I want to watch.... :naughty::D

Loynz, you have been spending a lot of time on the island. Is there a move planned in the very near future? :D
I tried living there in 1993, ended up becoming a beach-bum. As I flew back to Washington, I promised myself I would never live there again. The lifestyle is too laid back for me, work was the last thing on my mind!

I'm very fortunate to have met Torturechambers and Red_fo fiddy, they host the most bitchin rides! I hope the two of them can meet on the trail soon, what a ride that'll be! :naughty::naughty::D:D?:D

Wow, I'm scared of that huge snatch.

There's a hill at Reiter I've got my eye on but haven't even tried that one yet...as you're going up the dirt road toward the towers there's a little gravel pit with a small climb on the left and a much bigger/steeper one in the middle. Soon as I can nail that one I'll be happy.

On my yzf it should be no prob, but I'm not yet used to descending hills on my exc - no engine braking! :naughty:

Wow, I'm scared of that huge snatch.

There's a hill at Reiter I've got my eye on but haven't even tried that one yet...as you're going up the dirt road toward the towers there's a little gravel pit with a small climb on the left and a much bigger/steeper one in the middle. Soon as I can nail that one I'll be happy.

On my yzf it should be no prob, but I'm not yet used to descending hills on my exc - no engine braking! :D

I've seen the tire tracks on that hill up at Reiter but haven't tried it myself - yet. It's not the highest hill climb which is nice - not as far to fall, but high enough to do some real damage if you come tumbling down. And plenty steep and pea sized gravel and sand which would make it interesting.

Let us know when you're going to attack it so we can get it on vid. :naughty::naughty:

ps: huge snatch scares me too.