Sign in to follow this  

Need some advise

Hello all....My girlfriend wants to buy a dirt bike! I was wondering what would be better for her, crf150 or 230. I ride a crf450, so I don't have a lot of experience with these two bikes. She is 5'5" and 120lbs. She is pretty good on quads, but fairly new to bikes! She would be riding desert and tracks! All input is welcome! Thanks in advance! :naughty:

The 230. E start, more power and she won't outgrow it as she advances like she would the 150. The weight may be a bit intimidating when she tries to pick it up at first, but she'll soon learn to adjust and will handle it fine. Check the thumperette forum for more on these bikes as they are discussed there quite often.

i think id go with the crf150 it tops at about 60 and still has a ton of low end, that warrior probably doesnt get much higher than 60

I just bought a new CRF230, i love it! i can just chill and do an easy ride or i can go all out and keep up with the big boys on the 450's doing 90 down the straights! I would recomed this bick to anyone! :naughty:

Im about the same size and weight as your girlfriend and its my first bike,CRF230 excellent bike for the smaller rider who likes a bit of power.Would,nt swop it for anything bigger or smaller.

230. My wife is smaller then your girlfreind and she love hers. I did carve the seat out an inch or soo. :naughty:

I just bought a new CRF230, i love it! i can just chill and do an easy ride or i can go all out and keep up with the big boys on the 450's doing 90 down the straights! I would recomed this bick to anyone!

04-06-2005 05:04 PM

No offense- but are you crazy? I have both a CRF230F and a Husqvarna TE 450. The only way the Honda would do 90 MPH is if you dropped it off a cliff. The only way it would keep up with ANY 450 is if the 450 were:

Broken

Out of fuel

Being ridden by a chimp

Its a great starter bike. Plenty of power with simple modifications, my wife enjoys hers very much.

kleeman, I agree about the 90mph. Unless the 230 has the gearing setup and the motor pumped up to a 250+, there ain't no way in heck that bike's going 90mph. That's quite funny in itself. But I have to disagree with you about the CRF230 not being able to keep up with a 450 on the trail(not the track).

The first and most important part as we all know, it's the rider, not the bike. In our local riding group there are two 300's and a 380 2-stroke KTM's, a CRF450, WR450, and a YZ250, along with a conglomerate of smaller 4-strokes.

My 15 yr old son rides a CRF230 and he easily keeps up with the big boys. Granted, only one of these guys ride in AMA sanctioned races, but the other guys are no slouches on the trail or track. The guys come off a ride and are simply amazed at how fast the kid rides and just as amazed he does it on a simple little trail bike. So am I. I ride a 230 also, but am so slow I ask the guys when they get to a crossroad on the trail if they'd wait up, or at least tell me which way they're going! :naughty:

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with y'all.

:naughty:

BTW, does this make my kid a chimp? If so I'm entering him in the circus!

:D

I bought a TTR125LE for my wife, I think it is a better bike than the CRF150 because it's much lighter and the rear shock is adjustable with a reservoir.