Sign in to follow this  

Break in procedure after valve replacement?

I just put in some SS valves and a new top end. I know the break in for a top end, but I'm wondering about the valves. Should I expect my clearances to change a little after break in?

With the original shims, my intakes are on the loose side (~.007"), so I'm happy with that, because I anticipate them closing up just a bit after break in. Is this correct?

THe good thing is when I buttoned it all back up, it fired in 5 kicks, whereas last August (yeah, last time I rode :naughty: ) it took at least 30 or more to get it going.

Break-in is the same as if you got a new bike. They will probably seat in and lose .001-.002 of clearance.

BTW...where's Huffa? Riding one of these?

Three-wheeler.JPG

three-wheel2.JPG

Thanks TJ, I figured the valves would lose a little. I know the procedure, just more interested in what happens after....

Huffa is very busy with 3wheelers now. Last summer he was talking about giving up on bikes all together because he was finding it more work than it was worth. He found a 3 wheeler for free and is putting some time into restoring it, and he talked me into buying one and is restoring that one for me too. Hopefully he'll get back on 2 wheels soon though.

I can't wait for this weekend...haven't ridden my bike since August. I took my ninja out for a spin the other day for the first time since last summer and the bug hit me again. I had been passing my time by working on the new house, and tooling around in the yard on my BW80, but that's nothing compared to getting back out on the track. I just hope my bike holds up all weekend.