Sign in to follow this  

thyroid

i dont know......but i do know my doctor told me my thyroid was messed up (or soemthing like that) and perscribed me some pills to take to help it work right. i lost over 20 pounds in a month and didn't change a thing about my diet or exercise......but i lost the pills and need to get another script for them......

a buddy of mine has a thyroid prob or sumthin and has to take pills. it made him gain weight and suppose to make him grwo and have more energy. its way weird honestly i think its a waste of $$$$$

my thyroid was diagnosed as underactive about 7 years ago. I was prescribed synthroid at that time and I've been on it ever since. Most likely will be for the rest of my life.

Your thyroid produces hormones that affect a lot of things in your body...metabolism, sleep patterns, weight, hair and skin, eyes...and on and on. It's not something you want to mess with. I hate being dependent on pills and recently found out how important my synthroid is to me. I tried to go off of it, and after just 6 days I was having digestion, insomnia at night and skin problems, not to mention feeling like I needed sleep every day around 2pm or I just couldn't function!!

Based on my experience, I personally wouldn't think of taking anything sold over the counter that claims it could affect thyroid.

If you actually have something wrong with your thyroid, ABSOLUTELY follow your doctors directions (well, within reason, my friends started having some trouble and her doc said, "Lets just take it out and then we'll give you drugs instead." :naughty:--ok so she took the meds FIRST, instead of ascribing to the docs theory of, hey not working quite right let's just take this unimportant thing out---she's doing fine right now, BTW)

ok tangent..anyway, taking some thyroid supplements (NOT MEDS) usually have iodine in it which helps with the functioning of the thyroid. That's the theory anyway. FYI--that's why there is iodides(?) salt.

"Side Effects Return to top

Deficiency of iodine may occur in areas that have iodine-poor soil. Many months of iodine deficiency in the diet can cause goiter and/or hypothyroidism. With decreased iodine, the thyroid cells and the gland become enlarged. The deficiency is more prevalent in women than in men, and more common in pregnant women and adolescents. Iodine intake is stressed as a preventive measure because a goiter caused by iodine depletion can cause cretinism (a form of physical and mental retardation). Cretinism is extremely rare in the U.S. because iodine deficiency is generally not a problem."

Iodine toxicity is rare in the U.S. Very high intake of iodine can reduce the function of the thyroid gland."

Also, Iodine is NOT one of those vit/min that more = better ideals. Recommended dosage is 150 mcl

Also, excessive nitrates (ie fertilizers) interferes with the functioning of the thyroid and iodine is supposed to cancel out the effect, (in horses anyway, yep, I read horse medical reports :naughty: )

my thyroid was diagnosed as underactive about 7 years ago. I was prescribed synthroid at that time and I've been on it ever since. Most likely will be for the rest of my life.

Your thyroid produces hormones that affect a lot of things in your body...metabolism, sleep patterns, weight, hair and skin, eyes...and on and on. It's not something you want to mess with. I hate being dependent on pills and recently found out how important my synthroid is to me. I tried to go off of it, and after just 6 days I was having digestion, insomnia at night and skin problems, not to mention feeling like I needed sleep every day around 2pm or I just couldn't function!!

Based on my experience, I personally wouldn't think of taking anything sold over the counter that claims it could affect thyroid.

yah, thats what im on, what milligram is yours? mine is .05mg.......

my 1/2 sisters mom is on it, hers is like 500mg or some shit like that, its like the size of a horse pill! :naughty: