Sign in to follow this  

bog after hotcams in cam

test ride after hotcams intake install revealed an off idle bog.

never had an issue w/this until now. only other change was a cr8ek.

'04 s w/dj kit,air box mod,25 pilot,2.5 turns fs,& full muzzy & stk main jet(142.5)

bog was pretty bad.really notice when i wack throttle @ idle in second gear.

i've done some searches.i'm thinking too rich. maybe dropping to a 140- but i am not sure. :naughty:

i set valves @.0065 go intakes & .011 & .0115 go exhausts prior running. i did drop a 1/2 size on shims under exhaust cams to increase my clearance from previous.

any suggestions for getting rid of the bog would be appreciated. :naughty: HELP!

thank you burned. will try that today,along w/re-checking tappet clearances. i should have mentioned that i tried to correct w/fuel screw. i went from 2 - 3 turns w/little,if any change.

bronco, i read in old posts you had same/similar problem. did you ever get it right w/the cv carb or was the fcr the answer for you?

on a brighter note, the e model rear spring worked much better for me.

that along w/d756 front & s-12 rear made ride better than previous

now, if i can lose this bog :naughty: it'll be the best it's been. :naughty:

thanks for all the help.

thank you burned. will try that today,along w/re-checking tappet clearances. i should have mentioned that i tried to correct w/fuel screw. i went from 2 - 3 turns w/little,if any change.

bronco, i read in old posts you had same/similar problem. did you ever get it right w/the cv carb or was the fcr the answer for you?

on a brighter note, the e model rear spring worked much better for me.

that along w/d756 front & s-12 rear made ride better than previous

now, if i can lose this bog :naughty: it'll be the best it's been. :naughty:

thanks for all the help.

I had an acceptable setup with just the intake cam,, but never did get it working right once I installed the exhaust cam,, as I wanted an FCR anyway,, I cut my tuning time loses,, and just went FCR.

I had an acceptable setup with just the intake cam,, but never did get it working right once I installed the exhaust cam,, as I wanted an FCR anyway,, I cut my tuning time loses,, and just went FCR.

acceptable as far as an off idle bog or overall. from what i read you went thru alot of tuning after high comp.piston & hotcams intake to try to lose the bog you had.

am i wasting time w/the cv or is there a good chance i'll have good throttle response again? it ripped before & i'd be happy if the bog were gone.

You will get it and you will be happy - until you want more. You will feel a big difference. I just got done with the E base gasket, Hot Cam In, E Cam Out and I have the CV. I did not have to change my jetting from Burneds initial 3X3 / Yosh settings.

acceptable as far as an off idle bog or overall. from what i read you went thru alot of tuning after high comp.piston & hotcams intake to try to lose the bog you had.

am i wasting time w/the cv or is there a good chance i'll have good throttle response again? it ripped before & i'd be happy if the bog were gone.

I had a good set up with the IN cam,, but once I installed the 13.5 CR piston and EX cam,, I never did get it bog free,,, it went from bad,, to worse,,to,, just annoying. Like I said.,, I wanted the FCR,, so stopped playing with the CV.. It may have worked out,, just not worth my tuning time.

just got back from a ride after re-inspecting clearances & raising clip position from 4th to 3rd slot(dropping needle).

it's much better than yesterday. definetely ridable. it still hesitates a little once in a while, but not too much and that's only from idle. any rpm's at all a7 there's no problems :naughty:

would it be a good idea to try the second needle position and what's it going to act like if i've gone too far?

burned,,, you are the man. thanks again for the advice.

help.. i rode again today and the bog is still there. worse when warm.

bike stays running warm with fuel screw all the way in.

does it make sense that i need to go from the 25 pilot back to the stock pilot after doing hotcams intake???

Did you do the base gasket and re-ring at the same time you did the hotcam?

Did you do the base gasket and re-ring at the same time you did the hotcam?

no just the hotcams in & a cr8ek & valve adjustment. i am just trying to make sense of this. it ran great prior cam install.

it seemed to me if the cam opened the valves more it would need more fuel.

but now based on burneds reply i'm thinking the opposite.

yes,especially if you have the extended fuel screw.

that's good to hear, but why? yes i do have the extended screw.

i'm gonna try the stock pilot tomorrow.

any chance i need to drop the main also?? thank you

well then I am clueless I had the same issues after I did mine but I figured out that I had to wait for the Rings to reseat. That is not the issue for you. I have seen the bog b4 with a vac leak under the cap on the carb. I had to fix one of those a couple of weeks ago at the trails. Probably not the Issue but an Idea all the same.

I have installed hot cams on 2 different bikes an nither required carb adj. FYI

well then I am clueless I had the same issues after I did mine but I figured out that I had to wait for the Rings to reseat. That is not the issue for you. I have seen the bog b4 with a vac leak under the cap on the carb. I had to fix one of those a couple of weeks ago at the trails. Probably not the Issue but an Idea all the same.

I have installed hot cams on 2 different bikes an nither required carb adj. FYI

i had the slide out yesterday & the diaphram looked fine. as far as your hotcams installs without re-jetting, that's what i figured. didn't think i'd have to re-jet. that's why i was looking for some input.

oh well, tomorrow i'm trying the stock pilot, carb cleaning, installing the plug that came out, clean & re-oil filter & different gas.

thanks for the reply.

the vacuum to the signal to the carb is greater when the effieciency is up.

most motor mods will require leaner jetting.

the extended fuel screw also tends to make the idle richer as the taper isnt exact.

thanks for the explanation burned. after today i was wondering if i had to go to a bigger pliot

today i tried fresh gas & the plug i had in previously. same condition. omitted plug & gas, but i didn't think either were the problem.

i also ran it with fuel screw from 1/2 turn out to 3 turns out(again)with no noticable difference to me. that confused me.

had it running in garage prior test ride & bike would die if i opened the throttle rapidly with the fuel screw pretty much all the way in. that made me think it should run o.k w/fuel screw about 1/2 turn out. it didn't.

it seams to run good warm, but not hot.

trying the 22.5 pilot tomorrow.

thanks for your time.