Sign in to follow this  

Is it worth it?

I have a plated CRF250X, with an opened airbox, Twin-Air, FMF Q, etc. I live in the SF Bay area, home to some of the best twisties anywhere. Last weekend I rode about 75 miles up through La Honda, Pescadero, Half Moon Bay, etc.

I came to the conlusion that I either need to get some new SM wheels, or buy a second bike for those weekends where I can't hit the dirt.

Is it going to be worth it to spend $1500 on wheels, brake relo bracket, new chain, etc.?

Right now, obviously, cornering sucks. And the bike tops out at about 65-70. 55mph is all I'm comfortable sustaining for any length of time.

All I want is to be able to blast through the twisties, and to stay with traffic on the longer "transport" sections. No freeways in my future. I also want to go to the Stockton SM clinic.

Should I save for a XR650 with a plate (good luck finding one), convert my current bike, or find an old cafe racer to satisfy my hunger for street riding?

Yes :naughty:

I have a CRF250R set up for SM. I would Love to ride that on the street, but would probably get arrested quickly :naughty:

Should I save for a XR650 with a plate (good luck finding one), convert my current bike, or find an old cafe racer to satisfy my hunger for street riding?

i think its' worth it. its cheaper than a new bike...usually :naughty: if you love your 250 i'd go for it. you'll be amazed how well he bike will corner. i have a DRZ motard and i want a plated wr250 (or cfr250x but i thought it was near impossible) for dirt, but even then if i got one i'd get some SM wheels for it for cruising around the hills.

cheers

droo (a La Honda loco...err local)

I run a KLR 250 in Sonoma County and the only thing I changed was to go with Dunlop street tires. They come in 21" and are a lot cheaper than a full SM setup. Next up is a bigger front brake and stiffer fork springs.

I would go with just tires and drive it.

Paul

Well, I do love the bike, so I'm leaning towards buying the setup. I'm not really interested in just switching tires. It would take too long to convert from SM to dirt and vice versa. I want something I can set up in 1/2 hour to 1 hour. 17" wheels and a relocation bracket sounds just right.