Wire Mesh in the airbox

I have been reading the free mods on klxzone and was wondering how you ensure that you don't get any metal shavings into the carb. Do you take the whole airbox out, or disconnect it from the carb?

I don't have a lot of mechanical skills, just the basics.

Thanks for any input.

Personally, I prefer to leave the wire mesh in, put on a hi flow air filter like a Uni or Twin Air and toss the airbox lid. If I was going to take out the mesh, I'd pull the airbox - or at least the carb. You don't want any tiny pieces of metal ingesting into your carb.

I took the carb out while doing mine. I also only took out two sections of the mesh. I don't know that you really gain anything measureable by removing it like Bill said.

A high flowing filter really should be proficient enough.

I haven't cut my mesh, as I'm concerned about leaving too little protection (either direction).

If you really want better performance, get the big mods like pipe/header and carby. Yes, it means money, but it makes a huge difference!!

Also cuttin the mesh just give more of a chance for something else to get in there.

Like what? If it gets past your air filter, you have bigger probs than worrying about how much a screen door will filter out.

There is no point messing with increased airflow (new filter or opened airbox) if the screen is still there slowing it down. Its there to prevent your air filter from burning up from a backfire (like a flame arrestor), but if your carb is setup ok and its not back firing its ok to remove. 90% of bikes don't have a similar setup.

Take it out to cut it. It creates lots of little filings and requires a good cleanup to get all the loose pieces.

Get rid of that screen ,I removed mine in 1997 and have never had a problem .

The KLX is one of the only dirt bikes that I have ever seen that uses one, Remove it to cut it out than just do a good job of cleaning it before you put it back together.

More air = more power , I say it is gone...

There is no point messing with increased airflow (new filter or opened airbox) if the screen is still there slowing it down.

I agree that removing it gives better airflow, but to say that a better airfilter like a uni and removing the airbox lid makes no point without removing the screen is rediculous. It makes a huge difference.

Oh boy, an oil post.

Just to give you an idea. Screen whether it is finely woven or used as a radiator guard (per devol when I contacted them) reduces air flow from 49-50%. I think the bike manufacturers allowed for this by the size of the airbox to boot opening when they screened it. If you feel removing the screen will help, remove the airbox, use a razor knife and cut it out. Follow up with a 200 grit sandpaper and remove the wire edges for your own safety. I removed it from mine years ago.

If you plan to keep the screen, clean it on occasion with a contact cleaner or other carb spray product. It is very fine and prone to plugging. To reduce the cleaning needs, Install a pro-seal. You don't need to grease your filter end for a good seal and risk plugging up the screen.

Either choice works well if you follow Bill's advice, get a uni filter or a twin air and remove the top lid.