Sign in to follow this  

650 Starter noise ?

I am hearing a loud whack coming from the starter when I shut my bike off. It sounds like someone whacked the case with a hammer. It's kinda scary, and it's not all the time but probably 80 % of the time....and ideas? Thanks guys.

I think all Dr650s has that noise when you shut off the engine.

I should be normal if it is not unusually loud.

However i have read, on the yahoo group forum, that there could be a potentially faulty starter gear which could damage the engine in case of a backfire. I dont know if this could also lead to louder "clanks" when shutting down the engine:

"...the starter idler grenading the left side case

if the engine backfired."

So some models, i.e. 1998-1999, had a different mechanism to handle a "kickback" from the engine (some kind of starter clutch), but they went back to the pre 1998 version after that because the new one could potentially damage the engine case. But as I said this is in case of a backfire, and a reasonable noisy "clunk" is normal when you shut off the engine.

But if you have a 1998-1999 it could be worth checking it out, maybe ?

www.kientech.com has a solution for the starter ideler clutch thing I believe...

/K

Mine has made the same noise for 9 years with no ill effects.

As he said above, if the bike is a 98 or 99 look at the starter mod.

I am hearing a loud whack coming from the starter when I shut my bike off. It sounds like someone whacked the case with a hammer. It's kinda scary, and it's not all the time but probably 80 % of the time....and ideas? Thanks guys.

DR's have an automatic decompression device that holds an exhaust valve open at starter cranking speed (read VERY low RPM). The noise is just the device trying to decide whether or not to engage as revs fall to zero when you shut it iff. It's normal.

good to know. i thought i might have to start off the year with a repair bill. thanks a bunch. :naughty: