450X "Pink Wire"

wow wow wow wait a minute... what is the pink wire and what does it do. and how do i get rid of it? like whats it all about??? lol im getting this bike in less then a week. i would like to know. thanks guys

I'm with CraZ - What is this about the Pink wire???

Where is it?

What's it do?

I've had mine for a month now (and it's a BLAST - go get yours street legalized...) and I love the bike, but more power would be a wonderful thing - especially since I'm keeping the nice, STEALTHY stock exhaust on it. :naughty:

FWIW, the stock tires SUCK :D on the pavement, BUT, they do really nice power slides. :naughty: The power delivery is perfect for them too. Roll on, hang it out, grin from ear to ear.

what is the pink wire and what does it do.

It looks just like the setup on the 250X. Ramsey outlines it pretty well. You don't have to cut it, after you separate the connector, you can slip a paper clip into the connector to release the pink wire connector, remove the pink wire connector from it's slot, and install it in the empty slot shown above and to the right of the pink wire in the picture. I can vouch that on my 250X, the pink wire mod not only raised the rev limit, it also appeared to change the timing curve giving much better throttle response and overall power. I suggest that you not make the mod unless you have a cam/springs capable of the extra RPM. On the 250X, it's only recommended as part of the complete CCC mods which includes the R cam.

..I can vouch that on my 250X, the pink wire mod not only raised the rev limit, it also appeared to change the timing curve giving much better throttle response and overall power...

If it does indeed change the ignition timing or selects a different map, etc, then perhaps there are some situiations where it may be better to have this wire disconnected and some where it may be best to have it connected. Why not put it on a switch? I did this with my sons WR426 so he can select between YZF & WRF maps and he likes being able to change modes depending on where he's riding.

Kinda scary, does it eliminate the rev limiter or just bump it up? Can the motor handle an extra 1000 rpm? Would there need to be jetting changes?More info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda scary, does it eliminate the rev limiter or just bump it up? Can the motor handle an extra 1000 rpm? Would there need to be jetting changes?More info on this would be greatly appreciated.

In the 250X, the rev limit is increased by about 1,000 RPM, but there is still a limit. Doing just the pink wire mod by itself should not require jetting changes. I'm sure most of the 450X engine can handle the extra RPM, it's the valve train I'd be concerned about. The extra RPM with a relatively short duration, low-RPM X cam may get you into valve float. If Honda lowered the limit for the X, it's probably for a reason.

The 450X/R relationship is a bit more complex than the 250X/R relationship. The 250X has the same valve springs and valves as the 250R, so installing the R cam in the X gives you a 250R valve train which is designed handle the increased RPM associated with the pink wire mod.

It appears that the 450X, at a minimum, has smaller intake and exhaust valves than the 450R, and I don't know if the springs are common. So if you put an 450R cam in a 450X, will the valve train handle the extra RPM? :naughty:

Does anyone know for sure that it really changes the ignition map? I did the pink mod on my '04 250X and noticed no change in performance.

Well, I didn't do the mod on a dyno. But I did do back-to-back rides with and without the pink wire mod. In my case, the change was quite dramatic. The difference may be that I had all of the other CCC mods in place before I did the pink wire mod.

I did none of the ccc mods, except for the pink wire mod, on my dads 250x and what was obviously noticable imeddiatly was quicker throttle response(no flat spot off-idle) wich made it easier to get the front tire up in pinch.

I'd like to do that on my 450x but, i'm gonna wait for more info, don't want to mess anything up! it runs too nice as is!

any body heard about a ccc setup from honda on the 450x yet??

LOL@ wires & needing more power. Some of you guys must surely be pro level riders to be able to flog a 450 and say "this thing needs more power", or you just like to tinker, cuz when I ride my 450 all I ever think is holy crap this bike is fast, but of course I'm old and slow and can't hold a line so what do I know. :naughty:

Sore Schlong,

I am not looking for more power, I just want to get rid of the tendency of my bike to stall at at what is usually the worst possible time. This is usually on an uphill infested with roots, rocks and ruts, which is quite commen up here in the Northwest. I also found it difficult to loft the front end in these same conditions. This mod seems to have fixed both if these issues.

DBW

My bike is stock and changing the main jet to a 148 from a 142 and doing the pink wire mod made a big difference.

What I would like to know is has anyone done the JD jetting kit without cutting the airbox first and then cutting it later? How much difference is the cut airbox when the bike is already jetted ok?

-rvl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

i've got an '06 crf450x and the jets and airbox has been done... how much difference in performance would me disconnecting the pink wire have? my brother has an '08 crf450r and his has so much more speed as well as power... brothers conflict.... we need to race all the time....

This thread is over 4yrs old. The pink wire raises the rev limit slightly,thats it.The 450R has a completely different head,cam,exhaust,transmission to name a few...Thats why it has more power than a stock X.They are two different bikes with few similarities each with their pros and cons.