CRF450X Dyno?

I am sick of getting blown away on my XR400, I'm considering the CRF450X...all the magazines and reveiws say it is wonderful, but I would like to see some real dyno numbers. Anyone seem them? I can find tons on the CRF450, but none on the CRF450X and I doubt my dealer will let me test ride their new bike in the sand dunes or take it to the dyno.

Rode with a guy that just bought a new X. It looked pretty nice. I didn't like where they put the coolant recovery bottle. He came off of an xr400. He said it was hard to get used to the X coming from a bike that has that Cadillac ride. And he wishes they would have either spred the gears out a bit or put a six gear in it. He's a better rider than me and I beat him from a dead stop with my 525EXC from 1st gear all the way to top speed. And the X is almost 30 lbs heavier than the R. Other than that, electric start, lights, softer suspension, 18" rear rim, kick stand, what else do ya need.

I'm not bashing the X just comparing, so don't take any I say the wrong way. :naughty:

I'm may be as think as some people dumb I am, but what the heck do those charts say?

I installed the JD kit (using vice grips and a framers hammer) and in my very amateur opinion it makes one helluva difference, but if I'm reading those charts right it doesn't actually make a significant difference?

Would someone who is smarter than me, which would be all of you, please explain the gains. Use small words if you would be so kind.

As for the engine, isnt the X the same as the R? The R gives 49hp at the rear wheel measured by swedish mag Bike in the Mastercross tests. It differs alot from diffrent dynos and you should run the bike you want to compare at the same time in the same bench.

WTH is a dyno gonna tell you? all the bikes in the class are so close, If you are a True Red Rider you will quit whining and got get one,but keep your 400 you will need it someday when you get sick of beating all your buddies to the top of every hill even though they are all riding modified YZF 450's and your quiet 450x has a tail light they get to see get smaller and smaller :naughty:

• 3 years later...
As for the engine, isnt the X the same as the R? The R gives 49hp at the rear wheel measured by swedish mag Bike in the Mastercross tests. It differs alot from diffrent dynos and you should run the bike you want to compare at the same time in the same bench.

no there not, neither is the 250x. they are designed for better traction and more bottom end

several magazines dyno that bike at around 40hp stock, every dyno is different, and can be altered btw.

its about on par with the yzf/ktm but higher than the KLX. the XR400 also has less hp than a stock yz250f, about .5-1hp less.

hi there... to do the "pink wire mod" do you just have to disconnect the pink wire from the plastic plug box? pr is it more complicated than that?

please help...

You might be better off without doing that mod. It protects your engine from revving too high.

no there not, neither is the 250x. they are designed for better traction and more bottom end

several magazines dyno that bike at around 40hp stock, every dyno is different, and can be altered btw.

its about on par with the yzf/ktm but higher than the KLX. the XR400 also has less hp than a stock yz250f, about .5-1hp less.

What's phenominal about the XR4 motor is torque not HP. It's an apples to oranges comparison. I have a yz250 smoker for a practice bike and it's relatively gutless compared to my old XR4. The XR has a better top speed in 3rd gear.

Forget the pink wire mod. Forget the dyno sheets too. Be more concerned about the power characteristics for your needs than useless peak numbers.

Thank you! :D

If you want to beat your buddies (and you).... go buy a CR500.

If you want a bike that suits your own needs, because top-speed isn't why you buy a 450X in the first place.... go ride several different brands or sizes that your buddies already own.

Play the field. Don't buy a bike because of numbers on a sheet of paper, or top speed listed. (you still look at a cars dash and think the top speed is what the speedo says?! :worthy: I remember the kids of way back always thinking this...)

Good luck on your quest. ?

... by the way, my dads bike is faster than yours! :ride: (neener neener)

go have your bike dyno tuned. it will be jetted perfectly and you will know what your peak hp number is.

my buddy got his bike done and the dyno guy took out the JD kit and put the stock stuff back in. he said that the JD kit was causing most of the bogging my friend was experiencing. i assume he is right because my friend says the bog is gone.

btw, his HP was 38 with a knobi, slip on PC muffler, opened air box, twinair filter and cage.