Thumb muscles/ligaments getting sore???

Thumb muscles/ligaments getting sore???

I just picked up and '03 450 and I'm having an issue with my thumbs. I haven't ridden much for the last 10 yrs and don't ever remember having this issue before with other bikes.

Is this common? Is there a way to fix it? I can't figure it out.

After doing some long riding nothing else gets sore at all except for this. I'll have to take my hands off the handle bars every now and just to relax the thumbs from gripping the bike. If we stop, I'm back to normal after about 10 min. or so.

just keep riding...it happens to me too...my thumbs give up before the rest of my body does...its wierd...not arm pump..just thumb fatigue.

Seat time cures it...

give your thumbs some cross-training...

get a PS2 and a copy of MX Unleashed

Try holding on to the bars more relaxed. You dont want a tight grip, but enough to control. I had the same problem when i would play the drums, i learned to play more relaxed and now i can play forever. Is the pain between the thumb and your first finger?l

I deal with this too. Right between the thumb and first finger. Almost feels like I've got a thumb throttle at times. I catch myself holding on tight with my thumbs, fingers relaxed but not my thumbs.

Is the pain between the thumb and your first finger?l

For me its in the meaty pad in my hand below my thumb. Whats really wierd is I think its from the compression going into corners...I dont get it at all in the dunes. Or on tracks that are wider open and let you haul ass. But on the tighter tracks where youre on the gas/ on the brakes 2nd and 3rd all the way around...thats when they get to me the most...at least when Ive had too much time off the bike anyway...

For me its in the meaty pad in my hand below my thumb. Whats really wierd is I think its from the compression going into corners.....

If you get your weight far enough back when braking most of the braking force will go thru your legs not your arms. If I'm using my triceps too much its a sure sign I'm not moving back far enough when braking or moving forward too soon for the turn.

Just my $0.02

Roll your bars back, it can be the angle which your hand is meeting the bars. I have that problem when I roll mine to far forward. Changing bends can help also..........