Anyone know rear wheel compatability for the CRF?

I'm eyeing Ebay for a extra rear wheel set. Anyone know what years and models will work with a '03 CRF450? CR125, 250, 250F, etc... I'm assuming the hub is the only thing that really has to be dead nuts on? Model and year breakdown of each model would kick butt!!! Or info on how to find this info...

Khris

Rear:

The CR125 and CR250s all switched in 2000 to the larger axle diameter, so the hubs are the same for all CR and CRFs for 2000-2005 models. The CR500 was the only exception, it stayed with the small dia. axle through it's last year in 2001.

As for rims, you want a 32 spoke rim (not 36) if your matching it with a stock hub. Also, there are different width rims, I believe the CR250 and CRF450 is 2.15 wide with the CR125 and CRF250 being 1.85. The CR500 had a 2.50 I believe.

Spokes have to be matched to rim (dia. and spoke count) and hub (2000 and newer). Oversized spokes are easy to install if you don't mind drilling out the spoke holes in your hub a bit.

XRs use 18" rims, so the rim and spokes won't work. I don't know about the hub.

I really don't know about fronts, but they are much cheaper on Ebay than rears.

Well here's the deal... I'm getting REALLY sick of swapping paddle and knobbie... Right now I've got the stock 19" rear with o/s buchannons. I'll keep that for the knobbie unless I can find a 18" setup for cheap, I ride desert... So, basically the new rim will most likely mount a paddle 100% of the time. From the sounds of it a 2000 and newer CR125, 250, 250F or 450F will work. Only difference being rim width which I don't think will be that big of a deal for the paddle, am I correct? As long as the axle fits the hub and the disk and sprocket are in line I should be good to go...

Thanks a ton for the info!!!

Khris

I did the same thing for my CR250, it's great to be able get ready to go ride in the sand in 10 minutes without any cussing involved in the process. I would suggest using the same brake rotor on both wheels. The rotor is expensive, they are super easy to swap, and you should really match each rotor to it's set of brake pads. What I did was find a counter sprocket that I could use to match with two different rear sprockets for the gearing I wanted in the sand vs woods riding.

A note about rims, it's easy to find new Excel rims on e-bay for reasonable prices so don't sweat a narrow rim or one with damage. The hardest part to find, IMHO, is the hub. I looked for six months to find a hub at a decent price. For a newer wheel, your best bet is probably to find a complete wheel ready to go rather than piecing it together like I did.

• 5 weeks later...

Man, I'm playing the ebay game and not winning so far but then again I'm in ABSOLUTELY no hurry so whatever. My next question though... The 90's CRs had a smaller diameter axle correct? What is the disc and sprocket spacing? Could the ID of the hub be the same and just the bearings and spacer be different? If so a set of bearings can be had for cheap and the older wheelset goes for noticably cheaper on ebay generally.

Any clue?

Khris

Yeah, it's just about $$$ though for me...

Oh and this bike isn't being sold anytime soon!!!! Too much $$$ into to it with not enough parts transferable to a new bike!!!

Man, I'm playing the ebay game and not winning so far but then again I'm in ABSOLUTELY no hurry so whatever. My next question though... The 90's CRs had a smaller diameter axle correct? What is the disc and sprocket spacing? Could the ID of the hub be the same and just the bearings and spacer be different? If so a set of bearings can be had for cheap and the older wheelset goes for noticably cheaper on ebay generally.

Any clue?

Khris

I tried adapting a 96CR250 wheel for my 450 a while ago and it was going to be a lot of work. The bearings might not last long at all because the ID of the hub is smaller. By the time you got a bearing with a large enough center to accept the larger axle, the ballbearings inside the bearing would be so small the bearing wouldn't last long at all. You would also need to make a new spacer tube. I decided it wasn't worth the work for something that might not work.

I tried adapting a 96CR250 wheel for my 450 a while ago and it was going to be a lot of work. The bearings might not last long at all because the ID of the hub is smaller. By the time you got a bearing with a large enough center to accept the larger axle, the ballbearings inside the bearing would be so small the bearing wouldn't last long at all. You would also need to make a new spacer tube. I decided it wasn't worth the work for something that might not work.

I purchased a Talon-DID setup for my 99 CR 250 off Ebay. It looks like the rear hub has a thick bearing/axle spacer, with the bearing ID larger than the stock 99 bearing. I haven't looked into the posibility of ordering parts that would allow the larger diameter axle to fit my 05 450. AIRC, you can't use the later disk on the older hub for some reason, would have to look again.

Mike

I have switched wheels between 4 bikes recently. As stated, 2000-2005 rears are all inerchangeable. And from what I have found, the fronts swap as well, as long as you use the spacers from the bike the wheel came off of. The bikes were : 01' CR250, 03'CRF450, 04'CRF450, 05'CRF450. I believe the 04' and 05' were interchangeable without changing spacers.

Hope that helps a little.

Really? And that's an 18" right? Nice to know!!! Do you know 100% for sure it's got all the same dimensions? Thanks for the info Kris, I didn't know they would be that cheap!!!