Sign in to follow this  

Riding near Vantage

I noticed dirt bike trails just west of Vantage on the north side of I-90. Is there some good riding spots in that area other than Mattawa? If so, how do I get there?

I noticed dirt bike trails just west of Vantage on the north side of I-90. Is there some good riding spots in that area other than Mattawa? If so, how do I get there?

If I understand your description correctly Russ that is the Green dot road system. That is a part of the area I ride regualarly. Although lately with the new snows it may be wise to wait a while. The lower green dots toward the River and Vantage are ok but there is white stuff up top.

Are you talking about the trails you see just off of I-90 as you drop down to the Vantage and the River. These also are located exactly as you described but they are not legal to ride on. Those trails are the Old Desert 100 trails left over from when the Desert 100/Poker run was held just above Vantage. There was a lot of fun stuff in there and we used to get to ride it once a year at the Desert 100/Poker Run.

Not sure yet but Mattawa is one possibility and so is Taneum to work on the trails. I will know for sure a little later this week.

Russ, what are you riding these days? I forgot to ask when I seen you Saturday at the Poker Run. :naughty:

I am not sure what I have on this weekends agenda, Mattawa, Taneum or somewhere in between :naughty::D .

TONY

Nick, I never had a DRZ. My honda has a yellow plastic kit. Lots of people think it was a Suzuki. I really had a good time at the 100. The free hot dog stand was neat and it felt good to be able to ride some open and dry terrain. Tasky's gave the demo rides on the new Husky's and Saturday night I hit the steak feed at the brewery in Odessa. That was the best $15.00 dollar meal I have ever had. Visited with several people that I met last year on Thumpertalk rides and visited with some people I rode with with several years ago that I thought had quit riding.

I was planning on racing the 100 but I had blisters on my hands when I woke up on Sunday plus I was really sore from Saturday. I thought this was the best dirt bike event that I have attended and will make it a annual must do.

Nick, I never had a DRZ. My honda has a yellow plastic kit. Lots of people think it was a Suzuki.

Wow Russ after all this time of riding with you I'm really unobservant. Hey Russ I may be riding with Tony Saturday at a spot I have never been to. You might email him and see what he's got going if your interested.

We are already a step ahead of you Nick, I am still waiting to see what I have on my weekend agenda. It is looking like a go :naughty:

I still have the Kawie to fix, it is being more of a problem than I anticipated. I put in a M9x1.25 heli-coil (seemed like a good idea at the time). They make lots of heli-coils in that size, they just forgot to make the bolts to with them. :D Of-course I had to red lock-tite the goofy thing in there. My main concern is pushing shavings into the crankcase if I cant get the heli-coil out. :D

I am about ready to give Alex my DRZ just to get him to stop bothering me, :D "when you going to fix my bike dad" :cry:

Kinda figure on a noon start time Saturday, from my house, at least 50 miles, maybe more......you in Russhenry? :naughty:

Hey Guy's,

Tell me more about riding near Mattawa. My son and I did the Odessa Poker run, then took off Saturday night. Camped at the Potholes, then spent Sunday looking for somewhere to ride. Pretty much everything was a Wildlife Refuge. We headed for home and saw a bunch of trails off 26 south of I-90. Headed toward Mattawa, and found a legal place to park near the Wappawhatever Dam. We did some single tracks for about 10 miles or so, but it was pretty limited.

Where are some better places? Were we close? We enjoy the forest, but there's nothing like desert riding.

Russ, call me from the 76 station at George, it will be easiest if I just drive in and lead you back to el-rancho de-luxo (home). :naughty: Even though were getting a late start we should have plenty of time to wear ourselves out.

Expect a pm from me today.

TONY