GN4 Oil in Engine & Tranny

I have an 05 CRF 450R and noticed the manual says you can use GN4 in both the engine and the tranny. Is this ok to use GN4 in the tranny? I ran the GN4 in my 04 CRF 250R in both the engine & tranny with no problems. But, I noticed a lot of you guys run the Honda trans oil instead. Is it mainly just for peace of mind you guys run the tranny oil? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I run the GN4 for both engine and trans. oil in my -05 450 and ran it in my '02 450 for three years without any problem. I think you are correct that peace of mind is mostly what you will get running the trans oil. No manufacturer would recommend using a product that would be substandard in performance so when Honda says GN4 is fine for both I feel comfortable taking their word for it.

I believe there are 2 different oils that you are referring to. One has MOLY in it and the other one does not.I also think the owners manual says to use the one with moly for the engine oil, but not to use it in the tranny because it can make the tranny slip.

GN4 is Honda's lowest grade oil. HP4 is the high grade oil. HP4 Gold does not have moly and HP4 Silver has moly. You can run all of these in the motor side. Don't run the moly in the trans side. I run HP4 Gold in both sides. It is easier and less confusing. GN4 is regular and HP4 is semi synthetic.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried GN4 in the tranny side and noticed immediately that my clutch began to make a "metal-slap" noise at the peak of its rev....as its revving down. It would do this noise at idle, revving w/ clutch engaged, and revving w/ clutch disengaged. I'm going to swap it out for TransOil as a couple of service techs. (Honda certified) have mentioned that its best to run the TransOil in the tranny

Try: Honda Tranny 80wt. Oil / Motul Engine 15w-50w

You will find the clutch will last longer / less slip after a

2 day GNCC race.. and less valve noise... :naughty:

Engine oil is pricey $ 12.00 per bottle but engine will last longer....

But make sure you change both Tranny and Engine after every 20 gal. of gas... (I change at 10 gal...) Run a Scott Oil Filter as well, will pay for it self in about 10 oil changes / but is way better than a paper filter...

Try: Honda Tranny 80wt. Oil / Motul Engine 15w-50w

But make sure you change both Tranny and Engine after every 20 gal. of gas... (I change at 10 gal...) Run a Scott Oil Filter as well, will pay for it self in about 10 oil changes / but is way better than a paper filter...

Actually, a good paper filter filters BETTER (smaller micron rating) than a steel mesh. But you can't re-use the paper...

I use paper filters....changed every other ride, at ~3 bucks each I don't care about the cost...

high perfromance motors dont like cheap oil, spend the extra little bit and run a synthetic or synthetic blend in the motor side and a tranny specific oil in the tranny.

Why compromise lubrication of the motor just because thhe clutch requires friction modifiers to operate without slippping.

hey,

i work over at cal coast motor sports, and ride the 2005 crf 450r. I heard from john ethel from honda's 4 stroke pro racing devision that all the guys are running hp4m( the silver one) in the engine and honda trans in the tranny. But for the average rider the hp4m with molly isnt recomened because it is a fast burning oil. Run the hp4(gold bottle) in engine and trans oil in tranny, and you will be good. If you are racing real serious then the molly might be for you, but watch the level and change the oil VERY often. (every ride or so)