04 TE250 - good, bad, problems?

I am looking at a new 04 TE250 and need some input (good or bad). Would you recommend buying one? Are there any issues to be aware of? What kind of life can I expect from the top end/valves. Are getting parts an issue? How about the price of parts? Are aftermarket parts readily available?

Thanks,

Singletrak

These are some articles that may help as a starting point and may answer some of your questions.

Also, checkout the media gallery at www.husqvarnausa.com , they have most of the magazine articles that cover these models. Lots of info over there.

Theres also a media gallery at http://www.husky.com.au/html/archives/bikearchives.htm as well.

Basically, we love them. Go for it!

http://www.arachnet.com.au/~hardrace/HuskyHammerPart1.pdf

http://www.arachnet.com.au/~hardrace/HuskyHammerPart2.pdf

After a little fine tuning my bud is starting to like the te250. He thought he needed more power to fix his lack of skills on a bike. He now sees my point and is picking up speed as he learns more. I see it as a stand up riding style kind of bike and fly it from one thing to another rather than deal with each wheel separately. To me its like a 125 in that the whole thing handles as a pkg. Myself i like to steer with the back wheel but in a short distance can get in the groove of the te250. So far no probs, the kickstarter pkg is in and will get installed on the next service after which the starter might be removed in an experiment in lighter weight. A perhaps total of 18 lbs might be shaved with a lighter muffler, no starter, no battery. That would make this bike very interesting what with 6 gears and a stable at speed kind of handling. The valves have yet to be very far off in the three services its had, i believe the shop said only one shim changed so far. So far, so good, runs like a top! I might even be talked into one considering the prices of 04's. G. Earl at "Uptite" emailed me that the 327 cyl for the te250 is still in testing with an unknown number of months left to get to production. That will definatly pique my interest when it becomes available.

I just picked up a leftover '04 250.

Good- great, nimble handling. Turns like a KTM 200 should. Feels very light,carries it weight well. Power is very good mid and up-easily lofts the wheel whenever I want. Beautiful bike to look at. Kickstarts easily, easy to get at everything, details are very well designed. It is quiet. It jumps well with the Ace fork mods and heavier springs and soaks up the trail crap very well. Can't wait 'till the suspension is broken in!

Bad- Low end is poor. Mind you it is trying to move 220 lbs here but I have to slip the clutch more than I expected. I am only on the 4th hour of break-in so that too may change. I have done no mods of any sort yet, stock jetting and all. I am also comparing the 250 to my old 300 EXC and my Husky 410.

I ride tight trail and race eastern enduros in NY, PA, and New England. I think this bike will do very well in the tight stuff and the rocks. If you are lighter than me I think it will be an excellent bike. :naughty:

I talked a friend who has always looked out of control on too fast of bike into getting a TE250, it has turned him into a very good rider! It goes fast yet has 100% controlable power! One of the best bikes I have ridden!

got about 4 hrs on my 04 left over, re-jetted .. it rips ... kinda like a 125 on steroids or a little more grunt. :naughty::naughty: so far so good mostly ride nor-cal single-trac.

HUSKY TRAIL RIDE to Mikes Sky Ranch in Baja California. :naughty: Just 25 days to cutoff for money to be paid. This is going to be fun! :naughty: Steny

Does the JD jetting kit help the low end? After 4 hrs on it, the bike has VERY little power off idle. I am 220 lbs so Iknow some of thta is the problem but I seem to slip the clutch a lot to start moving even on a level surface. Once it spools up, plenty of power.

I had that bike last year for a few months. When it was running I loved every minute of it. It is one of the best tight woods gnarly technical bikes I have been on. It will climb anything, it's easy to ride, and you feel like a hero when riding.

The down side is the '04 TE250 is plagued with valve train problems. Mainly with respect to wide open type riding areas. they just don't live long at full rev, which is where you have to ride them.

The Prices to replace a top end will make you crawl up in the corner and cry for your mommy. I belive all the manufactures of a 250F have suggested replacing valves at 30 hrs. The Husky being no exception.

The '05 models seemed to have cured the biggest problems

In the end, a 125 is still faster and cheaper to maintain than the '04 model.

Look into an '05 model and save yuorself some trouble.

FYI: This is just my view and a very honest one at that.

I've got a 04 TE250, so far no problems and with some carb tuning and a FMF exhaust can with quiet core and sparky, it has good snap off the bottom end.

So far no problems, but I don't have many hours on my bike yet. I've started running some lead additive to the fuel with the hope of increasing valve train life. I suspect that S/S valves will be a future purchase at some point or maybe S/S valves and the 05 head/associated parts. All bikes wear out at some point so no big deal.

Great Bike the TE250.I would defiently change to the stainless valves if you are a hard rider.Sustained high rpm will lead to inlet valve failer on all the 04 bikes.But it does seems to be more to do with the 1st batch of bikes which came without the kickstart fitted as standard & had the manual decomp lever seperate on the bars.But is important to keep the air filters clean.

I have someone who is considering fitting a 450 crank into the 250 to benefit from the 60.8mm stroke from the standard 55mm.This will give a real boost the torque (276 cc)

hey guys i bought two Te250s this year at G_P cycles in sandeiago and the 05 is un believable it rips ,the 04 is just as fast but had some carb problems to start out with (BUT THE GUYS AT G-P TOOK CARE OF EVERYTHING AND NOW THE BIKES RIPS EVEN WITH ME RIDDING IT @ 300 lbs i had the time of my life on the bike ( when i can get it away from my kids that is !!!) but both bikes seem to be very good i have had good luck so far and i am very happy with the dealer (g-p cycles) the guys down there are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 and very knowleagable

Bigdusa,

Are you bringing one of those bikes to Baja for our 1st Annual Mikes Sky ranch Husqvarna ride in May? Its going to be a hoot, this many Huskys in one place. :naughty: Steny

What jetting changes did you guys do to the '04 and what did they improve?

All good input guys. Thanks. Anyone have extended time on their bike, I am curious about valve and piston life.

Thanks,

Singletrak

What jetting changes did you guys do to the '04 and what did they improve?

What's working for me at sea level is a 10E01-51 needle, 27.5 pilot and 155 main. Also I've zeroed out the accelerator pump preload to delay the fuel squirt. This improved throttle response and cold starting. It also eliminated a bogging issue I had with the stock jetting.

What's working for me at sea level is a 10E01-51 needle, 27.5 pilot and 155 main. Also I've zeroed out the accelerator pump preload to delay the fuel squirt. This improved throttle response and cold starting. It also eliminated a bogging issue I had with the stock jetting.

I'll second that emotion on the A/C pump preload. That's what works for my '04 TE510, zero preload and much bigger jet sizes than stated above. My Mikuni is dialed in. Flawless in my opinion. I just got back from riding it today. Perfect everywhere.

Also rode the '04 CR125 today. Just got it set up perfect. Same as above the Mikuni makes it pull power at any RPM or load condition.

CR125 vs. TE510 is like David vs. Goliath. The CR is light and nimble but the 510 is the beast, insane power. Hold on tight with your knees and rock. The 510 can be a lot less tiring for me due to about 20% as many control functions required.

In other words you are braking, shifting and clutch about 5 times more often on the CR125.

I would think a TE250 might be similar.

I believe any of the Husky's with the Mikunis work great if you get them set up right. Getting them set up is also very easy.

I have owned an aussie TE 250 since Nov 04 & service it every 200k's, it has 1200 kmh's on it & apart from pulling the valves through the head it went great. Husqvarna has a 2 year warranty against engine failure ( printed in big words in your owners manual) which is a awesome after sales service. They are the only manufacturer that will provide such service so THUMBS UP TO THEM!!.

Apparently the 05 does not do this due to titainum valves in them. So if you strike this problem on your 04 & you are out of warranty, don't stress too much you can buy aftermarket titainum valves which are little over sized but worth the $$$ instead of paying genuine husky. I will keep all posted which are the better A/M valves to buy :naughty:

My leftover 250 has a weak battery which I think will be warrantied. I am also experiencing the "bog" and hard cold starting. If the carb adjustments wake up the bottom end just a little I will be extremely pleased.

Singletrack, what bike would you be coming off of?

All good input guys. Thanks. Anyone have extended time on their bike, I am curious about valve and piston life.

Thanks,

Singletrak

The piston lasts 2 strokes longer than a broken valve. Change to Stainless valves asap and that should extend your piston life as well.