Motocross?

I've been riding woods since I was a kid (now am 31), and now I'd like to try my hand at motocross, but I've got really no idea on how to start. Do you just show up at a track and ride? Are there any good beginner tracks in the PDX area? Are there any professionals trainers in PDX you can hire to work with? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, decided to get into MX when I was 30 after riding mostly woods and street. Anyway, for me I enjoy going to practices more than I do racing, especially since I'm a little older than the typical racers and it's taken me a while to get used to jumping. I find I can progress much more quickly and safely doing practices than racing, though racing does get your blood pumping like nothing else!

Anyway, check out the schedules for some of the local MX tracks and just show up. Some of my favorites are:

www.mtnviewmx.com

www.longviewmx.com

www.woodlandmx.com

www.albanymx.com (also includes Salem indoor arenacross)

www.hindsightmx.com (indoor - I haven't been there yet but have heard good things)

I was in the same boat. Started riding MX at 31ish (I am now 34) and it is soooo much fun. I just started riding with a friend and remember hitting a jump which I thought was huge (less than 10') and was so pumped. I am now hitting 35-40' table top jumps which are fairly easy.

My suggestion is find a 'riding buddy' and go. You end up pushing each other and see improvements fairly quick. Do it now and you will not regret it.

I was in the same boat. Started riding MX at 31ish (I am now 34) and it is soooo much fun. I just started riding with a friend and remember hitting a jump which I thought was huge (less than 10') and was so pumped. I am now hitting 35-40' table top jumps which are fairly easy.

My suggestion is find a 'riding buddy' and go. You end up pushing each other and see improvements fairly quick. Do it now and you will not regret it.

kolby, can you recommend some good MX tracks in WA state [edit: reasonable day trip from seattle] for someone just starting out? btw, i'm your age...good to hear other folks starting after 30.

thanks, dave

Also, http://dirtracingnw.com is good for motocross info

Longview is within a days drive..

Only addition I would make is John Beal's track in Snohomish right off of Hiway 2. It is not very crowded but is only open Sat/Sun for non-members. MXGP is where I really learned to ride and hit some of the jumps. It is a blast when you ride with someone else. When the weather clears we could get some of us 'rookies' out there to ride. It is easier to learn the proper speed for jumps if you ride with someone that is a little bit better than yourself.

Riverdale Raceway is fairly new and I was there a couple weeks ago. Fun track and good dirt, even of its raining.

http://www.riverdaleraceway.com/

Take a look at Goldendale over the bars gang . The Eddiville track is awsome, I like the GP but the MX track is nice also. It is also not so tight like most MX tracks. They have lots of races that are still competitive but not insane. Get on board with the China Hat ISDE at lobos MC Again, not supercompetitive but still is competitive 600 riders and really well done. I also will be trying to get into some lessons from hindsight MX when they offer them. Try some of the hare scrambles and stuff if you don't want to jump right into MX.

KXDAVE-

Are you the same KXDave from the Smuggler? If so, you emailed me some pics after last years' Smuggler.

Jeff