Sign in to follow this  

How Do I fix This???

Hi... Here is a real annoying problem. I have installed these turn signals on my YZ, and the bulbs keep vibrating out immediatly after I rev the bike up. How can I fix it so they will stay in? Here are some pics. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/02YZ426/100_0544.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/02YZ426/100_0550.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/02YZ426/100_0551.jpg

Thanks for the help guys............James :naughty:

I think the only option is to take a little superglue or epoxy and.....well.....you know the rest.

I would try a Dab of silicone(after you have installed the bulb) on each side of the socket. :naughty:

Yep, I agree, a little dab of RTV.

Just make sure it dosen't smell like vinegar, or it'll make that turn signal housing rusty to the point of failing (the wiring) and then replacement if you do.

Make sure you choose what is called "Sensor Safe" RTV from Auto Shack or a Napa type store.

Vinegar smelling RTV Silicones are acetoxy cure silicones and outgas Acetic Acid gas as they vulcanize. Acetic Acid gas corrodes metal surfaces.

The RTV I recommend has a clean smell to it, and is an oxime cure silicone. Oxime cure silicones outgas no corrosive gasses..you'll be safe with this type of RTV.

Dirty

Maybe you can remount the turn signals with some kinda rubber gromets or insulaters to lesson the vibration??. Can you crimp the recievers alittle to tighten them up??. Other wise you may have to silicone them in place, (pain in the but when you have to replace them!!), good luck. :naughty:

I already tried crimping the clips tighter, No good. The lights are mounted with 3M tape (the foam stuff) and that doesn't help the vibration enough. I thought about maybe changing the hole socket to a screw in type, but that will be a real pain since the lights are stuck right to the fender graphics. I could try the syclicone, but I'm not sure that will be enough to keep it in. Thanks for the replies!

You could also try to fashion a spring clip of some kind and afix it to the inside of the lens covers(epoxy), so than when the cover is installed, the clip contacts the top of the bulb and keeps it from coming out of it's socket.

Just my 2 cents.

You could also try to fashion a spring clip of some kind and afix it to the inside of the lens covers(epoxy), so than when the cover is installed, the clip contacts the top of the bulb and keeps it from coming out of it's socket.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats the best one I've heard yet. Thanks, that just gave me an idea. I think I will drill a really small hole into the mount for the light, then use a little rubber graumet, bolt and washer. That way I wont have to glue anything. Then when I change the bulb, all I have to do is remove the bolt and slide the bulb right out. Thanks again for the help :naughty:

I have those on my bike and the same thing happened to me, and to my buddy as well. He came up with the idea of soldering them in. I didn't watch him do it so I can't explain, but they've never fallen out since.

Good luck

Dan

I've got the same lights and haven't had a problem...however, I a no. 10 hole thru the base of each light and screwed 'em down with 10-32 screws and self locking nuts. Even though I work in aerospace and bond the shit outa everything, I just don't trust that 3m tape. Maybe the screws keep the lights from buzzing as much, so the bulbs don't vibrate out...I don't know. But I do know that I've had these installed for more than a year and have never had the bulbs come loose.