Kawasaki Ninja 250R

One of my friends is looking at buying a brand new Kawasaki Ninja 250R for his first bike. I don't think he should buy a brand new one, as I know he is gonna drop the bike; everyone does their first time, but hey, its not my money. MSRP is like $2999, so its not to steep a price for a street bike. I want to know if I can get any feedback on the bike.

Hows the handling?

Its only 250cc, so theres obviously not too much power, right?

How easy of a ride is it?

A good beginner bike?

Any other feedback on this would be appreciated.

buy a used bike with more power. he will drop it and then outgrow it by the end of the summer, and the resale value on them things sucks. if hes not an experianced dirt rider he should look at the ninja 500 or gs 500, if he has ridden on dirt for a while look at used sv650s, kaw zr7s, katana 600s, monster 750s (if hes got $$$ to burn) the ninja 250 really is a suckers bet unless he picks up a beater for say under $1500

buy a used bike with more power. he will drop it and then outgrow it by the end of the summer, and the resale value on them things sucks. if hes not an experianced dirt rider he should look at the ninja 500 or gs 500, if he has ridden on dirt for a while look at used sv650s, kaw zr7s, katana 600s, monster 750s (if hes got $$$ to burn) the ninja 250 really is a suckers bet unless he picks up a beater for say under $1500

Perfectly put :naughty:

The first street bike should never be new and never have plastic bodywork....both because it WILL be dropped. Either when riding or just in the driveway, but it will go down at least once (and probably more).

The Ninja is okay for running around town or commuting in slower traffic, but is basically made for someone that bought it and wants to keep it just for that purpose. As others have said, resale sucks.

Tell him to go looking for a clean used bike around 500cc....the one that comes to mind first is the GS500 Suzuki. Good for commuting, but can handle the freeway too. Decent smooth power (once it is rejetted to get rid of the EPA-induced low-end stumble) and also economical. It's got more than enough power to cost him his license too!

This is an excellent time of year to go shopping for an entry-level street bike. A lot of re-entry riders (40-somethings) bought a bike to recapture his youth, rode it a few times, got the crap scared out of them for whatever reason, and put it away in the garage. Tell him to look for an ad that has the phrases "adult owned", "garage kept", "low mileage" and "includes 2 helmets". That a re-entry rider that has finally been pressured by his wife to 'get that thing out of the garage because you never ride it anymore'. It will probably need a battery, carbs cleaned, and perhaps tires (from dry rot, not wear).

Most of those bikes are in the middleweight range (500-650cc) and will be perfect for a new rider. Another good one is the Honda CB750 Nighthawk, and there's a ton of those out there. It's the XR-400 of the street world. :naughty:

Cheers,

Mac

whatever u ride your gonna wreck. by what u want just dont go overboad. i wouldnnt go with any kind of sportbike for the first bike. unless he wants to be a squid. i love those guys that try to keep up. they always end up urt or killed. tell him to keep it easy till he learns his balance and throttle control. buy what u want. ride to your ability.

Originally Posted by rebel1916

Perfectly put :naughty:

I agree 100%. What's your friend's riding background -- any dirt or MX? Has he taken the MSF Beginner class yet? What did he think of the 250s that they usually have for that class?