CRF 230F top speed

Hi guys, first post here, awesome forum.

I am in the market for a mild-mannered dual sport bike. Does anyone know the actual GPS-measured top speed of the Honda CRF 230F? The bike is for my girlfriend, and I would like to purchase the 230F and add a lighting kit to make it street legal. Seeing as this bike will be used on the road, top speed is an important factor. Thanks for any help.

P.S. I tried the search function, but couldn't come up with anything on top speed...

Hi guys, first post here, awesome forum.

I am in the market for a mild-mannered dual sport bike. Does anyone know the actual GPS-measured top speed of the Honda CRF 230F? The bike is for my girlfriend, and I would like to purchase the 230F and add a lighting kit to make it street legal. Seeing as this bike will be used on the road, top speed is an important factor. Thanks for any help.

P.S. I tried the search function, but couldn't come up with anything on top speed...

Maybe something HERE

61 mph on mine, some may differ....still trying to fine tune my jetting, but at 8 bucks a jet it takes a while.... :naughty: if i were you i'd go to a 48 or lower rear sprocket for the street. That small first isant needed.

KUDOS,

---Denny

My bike is stock with the exception of the baffle being removed. Although I wouldn't argue with anyone claiming to have cleared 60 mph (I'm just a newbie), my stock bike revs pretty high around 40 MPH. I don't push it past that (gauging with vehicle traffic). I don't think it handles too well on the pavement. That's my opinon, but I'm not a "street" rider- just ride a few blocks to get to my dirt pile.

Re-jet it, get a rev box, change the gearing, and I understand the bike will really come to life. My guess is the handling would get even squirlier on pavement.

I have a dual sport kit and a GPS on my 230, for what its worth my averaged top speed the one time I checked it was just over 67 mph based on a back and forth run on a back road. My only mods at the time were the power up kit and uni airfilter. However the 230 really isn't at home in that environment and would recommend a different bike if top speed is really important to you.

my stock bike revs pretty high around 40 MPH. I don't push it past that (gauging with vehicle traffic). I don't think it handles too well on the pavement.

My son will cruise on fire roads on his XR80 at 40mph. I really don't understand this, you do have 6 gears. I hit 60 occasionally on fire roads & I don't even get in to 6th. It'll hit 70 but I never have room for it. I have both speedo & GPS. An uncorked 230 can easily hit 60 mph.

The knobs don't handle well on pavement, for sure! High speed handling can be improved with a fork brace. Noticeable difference for over 40 mph or trying to get out of a rut.

:naughty:

hehheh, it's in MPH.....you can draw your own conclusions!!!

Actually I have had my bike up to 66 MPH with stock gearing.

With the SM wheels and gearing, I was able to eek out 80 MPH with the stock carb.

Once I get the bigger carb dialed, I may be able to go higher.

hahaha quoted from my drivers education wall at school:

"THERE IS NO NEED FOR INSANE SPEEDS!!!!!!"

hahahaha

My son will cruise on fire roads on his XR80 at 40mph. I really don't understand this, you do have 6 gears. I hit 60 occasionally on fire roads & I don't even get in to 6th. It'll hit 70 but I never have room for it. I have both speedo & GPS. An uncorked 230 can easily hit 60 mph.

The knobs don't handle well on pavement, for sure! High speed handling can be improved with a fork brace. Noticeable difference for over 40 mph or trying to get out of a rut.

I often find myself looking for 7th gear! No kidding. Maybe because I'm stock I'm reving out sooner than the rest of you guys(?) I does have some giddee-up and go pinning it in 6th, but I just get nervous with the high reving. :D

Not to mention the "Knobby wobble." ( I suspected that was what that was.) I've been considering the fork brace, but holding off for some other mods. :naughty:

i find that it "seems" to rev real high but pavement gets 100% traction so your motor and tire spins "true" 100% of the time and it makes it seem like it is revving higher and cdaleh....you are lying arent you about the mph.

now why would I need to type an untruth on the internet?

It actually says 104.9 MPH

How did I get that number to "display"? Well, that is a secret!!!

Probably had it calibrated for a 21" wheel & then put the 17" (?) on. That's a lot revolutions at the same speed.

If you just ratio the wheel size it might get you close to his actual speed.

104.9 mph X 17/21 = 84.9 mph

• 1 month later...

What in the world---why does it matter about the top speed. I'm off the beaten path most of the time lucky if I get it into 6th. Just no need too many twisty's and bumps.

I guess if I wanted to take it on the road I would be more ooncerned.

Just my 0.02$