Sign in to follow this  

No Oil

I just got an 05 YZ250F. Sunday was my first ride on it. I rode for a total of about 2 hours. I checked the oil and everything and it was fine.

I was just out in the garage playing around and checking out the different stuff on the bike trying to learn where everything is on the engine.

I re-checked the oil and it does not even register on the dip-stick :naughty: even when screwed in like the manual says not to. Now, the engine is 100% cold as I did not start it at all and it has been sitting for 2 days. Is this normal for a bike that has been sitting for 48hrs :naughty: ?

Nonetheless, I am changing the oil tomorrow night!

this happens oh so often to newbies with the yz250s.. it settles down into the frame but when you start it again it comes back up... im sounding really dumb now because i cant remember the name of any of this stuff, but do a search on it, and you should come up with somehting

So, this your first dry sump bike. is it? :naughty:

Most four-stroke bikes these days are wet sump, like a car engine. The oil is stored in a sump at the bottom of the engine. It get picked up by the pump, sent to the important lube points, and then it runs back to the sump and starts over.

For a lot of very sound technical reasons, Yamaha uses what I consider to be a better way; dry sump. In this system, oil is stored in a reservoir separate from the engine (the frame in this case), pumped through the engine, and allowed to drain to the bottom, just like the wet sump. But, in a dry sump, a second, larger and faster pump picks the oil up and sends it back to the tank, keeping the sump "dry".

When you leave the bike sit inactive for a period of time, oil slowly leaks past the oil pump drive shaft and into the engine. So, like they said, check your oil just after you shut it off, not just before you start it.

That's something to remember when you start it after leaving it alone for a week or to, as well. The oil tank may be virtually empty until enough oil is returned to the tank to get the circulation re-established, which can take a few seconds, so be prudent with the revs, OK?

Warm it up.turn it off.Wait 5 minutes,then check.Didn't you get an owners manual with it? If not,tell the dealer you want it(and the tools).

The oil rests in the frame so duah it wont register because it aint there. run it and it will be pumped back up.

OK, it just made me paranoid and I was not about to start it until I got some sort of feedback. Yes, I did get a manual, but I don't remember reading that part.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just got an 05 YZ250F. Sunday was my first ride on it. I rode for a total of about 2 hours. I checked the oil and everything and it was fine.

I was just out in the garage playing around and checking out the different stuff on the bike trying to learn where everything is on the engine.

I re-checked the oil and it does not even register on the dip-stick :naughty: even when screwed in like the manual says not to. Now, the engine is 100% cold as I did not start it at all and it has been sitting for 2 days. Is this normal for a bike that has been sitting for 48hrs :naughty: ?

Nonetheless, I am changing the oil tomorrow night!

Once you get a register on it, CHANGE IT!