Maintenance Schedule for KLX

The documentation that came with my 2003 KLX 250 is pretty lousy.

Other than telling me to change the oil every 5000 km (yeah, right!) and lubing the chain when it looks dry, there's no useful information. Can any of you fellow KLX riders tell me what your maintenance schedule looks like. What do you do? At what intervals do you do it?

Oil changes every 2 rides or 150 miles. Oil filter every 3 oil changes. 7I'm checking my valves every 500-750 miles or so. Learned the hard way. Don't let them tighten up. Air cleaner cleaned every couple of rides unless very dusty. Then every ride. Fork oil about every 6-9 months. Check the brake pads periodically. The KLX is extremely reliable if you just keep your eye on a few things.

Okay, please let me ask a couple of dumb question here...

First, the motor oil they sell at my local cycle shop costs about 5 times what the oil I use in my minivan costs. Both oils are 10w-40. Forgive me for asking, but if I'm going to change the oil in my bike every 150 miles anyway can I just use the cheaper oil? Could any oil possibly break down THAT fast?

Second, what's your procedure for cleaning your air filter? Do you oil it? (My oil filter was dry when I rode off the dealer's lot.) If so, do you just use motor oil? ... expensive motor oil?

Thanks for sharing your experience, BP!

I found some Castrol synthetic 10W-40 for $4-something a bottle at Walmart. That's about half what I paid for synthetic 10W-40 at my local Kawasaki dealership. I bought a couple of bottles, but haven't tried it in the bike yet.

They also sell the filter at WalMart. Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Fram part # CH 6015. I think its listed for Honda in the Fram catalog. In fact, its the same filter that is used in my Honda TRX 300 four wheeler.

EDIT: Just notice you're in Japan, so Walmart may not help you much.

I use filter oil on my air filter. However, when I was a kid I used motor oil on my motorcycle air filters and never had any problem.

Be careful with using automobile oils. They use friction reducers which will cause problems with your Clutch (slippage). You need to use the API SG type. Automobile oils today typically are API SJ.

I like Mobil 1 Synthetic for Motorcycles. It is about $8.00 a qt., but I let it go about 200Miles to 250 Max since it don't break down under heat. It's a trade off.. but my bike gets hot in the Florida heat.

Okay, please let me ask a couple of dumb question here...

First, the motor oil they sell at my local cycle shop costs about 5 times what the oil I use in my minivan costs. Both oils are 10w-40. Forgive me for asking, but if I'm going to change the oil in my bike every 150 miles anyway can I just use the cheaper oil? Could any oil possibly break down THAT fast?

Second, what's your procedure for cleaning your air filter? Do you oil it? (My oil filter was dry when I rode off the dealer's lot.) If so, do you just use motor oil? ... expensive motor oil?

Thanks for sharing your experience, BP!

yes, the oil does break down that quickly. It's cheap insurance to change it frequently.

Get yourself a Uni airfilter and use Uni airfilter oil.

Well if you don't mind me asking, what about the very first oil change. I only have about 60 miles on my 05 klx 300, as well as my wife's klx 125. What is the standard first change. I was guessing around 100 miles. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

Another oil post. Might as well enlist for a middle east war.

Gooser,

First oil change on a new bike, don't be afraid to change it and the filter after a few hours use. After that determine what kind of bike rider you are. Racers and riders pinning the throttle a lot use synthetic expensive oils in some cases, and they change it a lot. I trail ride, low speed although its an all day day ride. Usually I change the oil and filter 250-300 miles. I used Honda 4 stroke petroleum oil. I went to a semi-synthetic and I think the gearbox shifting improved. Your most inexpensive, but still JASO-MA approved semi-synthetic motorcycle oil is Castrol Actevo 10-40. It's about $4.25 per qt with a case discount. Most dealers discount anyone 10% buying a case.

In any case, when you ask about oil, tires, chains, sprockets or sex: the answer should include something about what that TT'r does for sport with his bike: Trail, racing, combination, once a year etc.