Riding with the Wife/Girlfriend/SO

Here is the deal gents...

I'm not one of those guys that thinks that dirtbiking/desert trips are "GUY ONLY" things. I'll be the first to admit that there are some girls out there that could kick my butt any day of the week. The desert is something that I like to enjoy with friends, and that is the way it should be. I've always told the girlfriend that I think it would be awesome to be able to share one of the things I love most (riding dirtbikes :naughty: ) with her. I mean how awesome would that be? Well, this last weekend she finally made some time in her work schedule to head out to the desert with me and my friends, so I'm super excited. Dream come true, right? Well, almost...

Admittedly she caught on to riding very quickly (my buddies 350X ATC -- not a beginners machine ) and then moved on to my KTM 450. I was actually impressed on how well she did. My problem is this though...I found that it actually scared the hell out of me!!! Scared that she'd get hurt/etc and it was actually starting to stress me out. By the end of the trip I thought I was going to blow a gasket. Do you guys have this problem? Is it something that goes away, or do you just learn to live with it. I'm not sure I could survive many more desert trips with this stress/anxiety level. Am I out of my rabid mind?

Her questions just killed me! "Can we go faster now?" "Want to go up that (STEEPEST) hill?" "Let me ride the KTM now"

My response- "Are you CrAzY?!?!?!"

~Jeff

Well is she a girlfriend or wife, one will be more expensive on you if she eats it. I cant really relate to this problem but i do get to the point of blowing an ass gasket when my wife falls over from going soooo slow or when she nags me over and over " Honey , the generator is out of gas again and were watching a movie" or getting all the gals from camp in my trailer so I cant even go into it to change or take a dump!!!!!!!!!!! So I guess if your S.O. is changelling your manhood, say oh well! Remember, one good face plant with a little skin missing will calm her down a bit.

I know the feeling very well... if you had kids you would have gone through this "worry" stage a long time ago. It use to scare the bagiggers out of me to see my son fall - to a point where it was not fun to go riding anymore. I convinced myself that it would happen whether I was there or not and I slowly learned to relax (after many falls, xrays, stitches, MRI etc.)

He has turned into a very accomplished rider and it is me that now does most of the falling :D:D

Most riders all have a comfort zone and ride accordingly. Most of the falls I have witnessed were a result of stupidity or showing off.

Relax and consider how lucky you are to have a girlfriend that rides well. :naughty::naughty: Just make sure she has all the necessary protective gear so WHEN she does fall, the injuries will be minor. :D

Relax!

You should feel lucky that you a girlfriend who's interested in riding with you, I do. I can't tell you how many of my friends wish they could get thier wives/girlfriends to have an interest in riding (as well as a few that wish they would have never suggested it).

I would encourage you to get her a bike that she's comfortable on (size and power wise) as well as all of the required protective gear and let her go. She's going to crash sometime and as long as you have given her the proper instruction on how to safely ride the bike and she has good protective gear she'll be fine.

You might also check to see if you can find a women's riding school for her to attend, preferably with women instructors. My wife attended a ladies only riding school a couple of summers ago and loved it. She's been hooked ever since, not to the same degree as most men, but hooked none the less. It made a huge difference in her confidence and ability, now she has a much better understanding to what I'm trying to explain to her when I make suggestions on what to do or try. I know that Jimmy and Heather Lewis used to put on some off-road riding schools and Heather Lewis is an awesome rider. We got to ride with her last year in Reno and she's a lot of fun. She spent a couple of hours with some of the gals and everyone really enjoyed it, as well as, gained some good knowledge.

I don't know about you, but I know that I would much rather climb in to a nice warm bed with my wife when I'm done riding for the day out in the desert, then have to share a tent or trailer with a bunch of other stinky drunks. :naughty:

Good luck and most of all have fun!

:naughty:

Last summer I took a girlfriend at the time riding. She was on her first bike. I regret it because now when i go ride she is at the places i ride, and she is hell bent on being faster than me. I dont think she will ever be tho. Then she went to school and told every one that she was faster than me on her first time out. Now she bring her male friends that are between 20 and 25 to race me and fight me. DONT TO IT.

High Desert XR400 said it all. Be happy and learn to enjoy it. It doesn't get much better than that! :naughty: Steny

Well is she a girlfriend or wife, one will be more expensive on you if she eats it. I cant really relate to this problem but i do get to the point of blowing an ass gasket when my wife falls over from going soooo slow or when she nags me over and over " Honey , the generator is out of gas again and were watching a movie" or getting all the gals from camp in my trailer so I cant even go into it to change or take a dump!!!!!!!!!!! So I guess if your S.O. is changelling your manhood, say oh well! Remember, one good face plant with a little skin missing will calm her down a bit.

You missed the point dude, he's not worried about being shown up, he's worried about the girlie eating it and getting hurt. I know the feeling, my fiance' hasn't been riding with me yet, but she wants to get a quad and ride with me....I'm excited but a little worried that she might get hurt. :naughty:

Just get her all the necessary protective equipment and have her attend a riding school,you dont know how lucky you are my wife has no intrest in bikes whatsoever and it really cuts down my riding time.

Don't forget that us girls worry about our men as much as you guys worry about your girls!

Consider yourself lucky that she wants to ride with you, most girls aren't like that.

Also, think of all the wonderful experiences you will have with her now. If you believe having these experiences together is worth the risk of injury, then go out and have a hell of a time :naughty: . If you worry your butt off about her safety, make sure you look at it from her perspective as well.

haha that should just make you proud!!! i love watching my girl ride, it makes me feel really good. but yea i do get worried but thats y i always wait for her and im always by her :naughty:

If you take your wife riding, don't bring your girlfriend too.

Don't forget that us girls worry about our men as much as you guys worry about your girls!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

If we don't try to CONTAIN you from doing new things and taking off on a hard ride, why should you do it to us?? And it is hard not to worry. We just have check in times to make sure the other person is ok if we aren't together. If we are together, well, you know, SUCK IT UP AND BE A MAN!!! :naughty:

No really, it's awesome you care about her so much!

You need to loosen up! Being a girl that rides, I can tell you that your girlfriend will probably only do things that are within her comfort level, so most likely she won't get hurt. Maybe she was just born to ride and has more skill than you thought she would. Let her go for it and don't worry about her! :naughty:

I ride with my wife all the time. She just started last year and she's doing fantastic. I've had a few serious pucker moments watching her ride, for sure. She's been down a few times, and I'm confident that she'll ride within her abilities. As others have said, I realize she probably worries about me too, so as long as we're there for each other if one of us gets hurt, it's alright! I'd rather be there to help if she gets hurt than not, and vice versa.

If your SO pushes you to ride harder, you can either be thankful for her urging you to be a better rider, or you can let her know it's outside your comfort level. If she keeps pushing you and you've told her you don't like it, then don't ride with her and tell her why. Easy enough.

I encouraged my wife to choose the bike she wanted to learn on. She got a crf80f (xr80) and after about 6 months she was ready to upgrade. If I had made her get a bigger bike, or something *I* thought she should like, I feel that would have been a total disservice to us both!