yz/wr400

Looking thru the Clymer manual, it looks as tho they would be interchangeable. The book does not point out differences between the two. The gear ratios are different between the two, tho. You are talking about the internals - just the tranny, not the case, right? I'd ask a shop you trust and see what they say.

WR

1st 2.416

2nd 1.733

3rd 1.312

4th 1.05

5th .84

YZ

1st 1.929

2nd 1.563

3rd 1.278

4th 1.091

5th .952

The WR tranny winds up quicker down low, and turns slower on top. I guess since the WR is the more "tame" version, Yamaha figured they'd get the motor up to speed quicker via the tranny. 5th gear would lug the motor more, but if you are "just" trail riding, it prolly wouldn't matter. Or so I'm guessing. Who understands engineers? :naughty:

thanks for the help seems how no one else cares. I would just want to take off the yz transmition and put the wr one in its place. :naughty::naughty::D

It's not that I don't care.... I just don't know what's involved in swapping the transmission and would hate to tell you to go out and spend hundreds of dollars for something I don't know everything about. I know on the new YZs it can happen no problem, not sure on the other years... Just don't want to give you false information.

Dan

I replied with the information at hand, and stated so. I didn't offer any explicit "it will work" guarantees. Hopefully, ppl who read and post on the 'net realize that they can't take everything at face value, and to do some more research. Hell, I did it when I put a 350 Chevy in my Isuzu. Did GM make it? Nope. Does it work? Yep.

Nothing personal against you, Dan. I realize that some folks will take anything on the 'net as gospel. I've added a sig that will hopefully CMA (that's cover MY a$$).

I replied with the information at hand, and stated so. I didn't offer any explicit "it will work" guarantees. Hopefully, ppl who read and post on the 'net realize that they can't take everything at face value, and to do some more research. Hell, I did it when I put a 350 Chevy in my Isuzu. Did GM make it? Nope. Does it work? Yep.

Nothing personal against you, Dan. I realize that some folks will take anything on the 'net as gospel. I've added a sig that will hopefully CMA (that's cover MY a$$).

My post had nothing to do with you at all... No offense taken...

I replied to the "thanks for the help seems no one else cares" comment made by WR450fYamaha..

Just because someone has a question doesn't mean that everyone will answer it, it's a deal where some of us don't have an answer including myself.. He took it as no one cares....

Dan :naughty: