TTR250, Any good?

What do you think?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Awsome
    • Good
    • Alright
    • Suck, don't get it

I need to upgrade from a ttr125 and was checking into a full size trail bike. Cam across and wondered about it.

Poll. Post your comments.

The TT-R 250 is an awesome TRAIL bike. Open the airbox, re-jet, and put a pipe on it the bike rips :D (bone stock power is kinda week) :D . If you're gonna keep the stock exhaust for a while do yourself a favor and take the baffle from the tip of the exhaust out :naughty: (it'll sound more throaty and less like a vaccum cleaner). The suspension is kinda soft in the front, the rear is almost perfect. I've gone through very challenging trails and up some pretty steep hills on mine but the bike really isn't meant for tracks with big jumps. I've jumped mine about 5 ft. high but not anymore than that because the front seems to want to bottom out. The stock tires are okay but not the best. The e-start button has saved my a$$ so many times its not even funny :naughty:

Read through the past posts on the TT-R250's... I'm considering one myself and have read some good details and opinions on the bike... just scroll through all the pages of this forum and click on the threads that talk about 250's.

its ok, real cheap because its air cooled. plan 1: go for the ttr225 and then like a wr/yz400, 426, 450. plan 2:go for the wr/yz250 then 450

its ok, real cheap because its air cooled. plan 1: go for the ttr225 and then like a wr/yz400, 426, 450. plan 2:go for the wr/yz250 then 450

i'd like to.

My back ground was 2-stroke MX bikes from 125 to 500cc. I hadn't ridden off-road in 12 or so years when I got my '05 TT-R250 to ride with my sons on their TT-R90 and 125 while they learned. I am 46 years old (as of this month).

I did a lot of reserach on the TT-R225 and about to be released TT-R230 and decided to go with the TT-R250 becuase of the full cradle frame, 11 inch trave (adjustable) suspension and dual disc brakes. I wasn't happy with the weight (about 265 or so pounds with gas) but I didn't plan to race anyway. Its taller than the 230 or 225 (36 inch seat) but my old MX bikes all had 37-38 inch seats so its not an issue (I'm short, 5'6", but learned to deal with tall bikes years ago...)

Even when I bought it I knew I was going to put a (quiet) exhaust on it and open the airbox, and remove the throttle restricter screw from the http://www.ttr250.com site info and talking with my dealer. Not to try and make it a race bike but to let it be what it could be.

I didn't ride it stock first so I can't give a before/after comparison; but after having it out now on three long outings I can say it is a very good trail/play bike.

The weight is not an issue once its moving. It handles very well. As long as you have some throttle in the front wheel stays planted in turns. I've noticed if you coast into and through a corner it will push a bit but some throttle will get it back tracking.

The rear suspension is overall good and while the fork gives a plush ride it will blow through the travel tto easy on braking and large bumps. I'm going to work on that issue next.

Brakes are fine. 1 finger on the front is more than enough and the rear is easy to modulate.

The motor with the exhaust and air box opened up (and rejetted) is actually quite good for an air colled 4-stroke 250. With the weight it really doesn't power wheelie (unless you sit back and use some clutch or stand and give a tug). Its been really wet here so most of our riding has been from slightly muddy to a lot of mud. Here the smooth power is great. I can easily pull guys on 2-strokes because they are getting too much wheel spin. On dry, if you clutch it (like a 2-stroke) it will come out of the corner hard enough to be fun. (disclaimer; I am not sure long term how well the clutch will like this...)

Hills are fun too. I was climbing a muddy hill on our property and about the third time I didn't get a good run on it. About half way up I was getting a lot of wheelspin so I started feathering the throttle. On a 2-stroke I likely would have stalled or start clutching it and just spun to a halt but it just chugged up.

So, from a play/trail bike standpoint I like it alot. I still plan to get a CR-250R or YZ-250 this fall but also plan to keep the TT-R250 (for mud and trails!).

I am happy with it.

My back ground was 2-stroke MX bikes from 125 to 500cc. I hadn't ridden off-road in 12 or so years when I got my '05 TT-R250 to ride with my sons on their TT-R90 and 125 while they learned. I am 46 years old (as of this month).

I did a lot of reserach on the TT-R225 and about to be released TT-R230 and decided to go with the TT-R250 becuase of the full cradle frame, 11 inch trave (adjustable) suspension and dual disc brakes. I wasn't happy with the weight (about 265 or so pounds with gas) but I didn't plan to race anyway. Its taller than the 230 or 225 (36 inch seat) but my old MX bikes all had 37-38 inch seats so its not an issue (I'm short, 5'6", but learned to deal with tall bikes years ago...)

Even when I bought it I knew I was going to put a (quiet) exhaust on it and open the airbox, and remove the throttle restricter screw from the http://www.ttr250.com site info and talking with my dealer. Not to try and make it a race bike but to let it be what it could be.

I didn't ride it stock first so I can't give a before/after comparison; but after having it out now on three long outings I can say it is a very good trail/play bike.

The weight is not an issue once its moving. It handles very well. As long as you have some throttle in the front wheel stays planted in turns. I've noticed if you coast into and through a corner it will push a bit but some throttle will get it back tracking.

The rear suspension is overall good and while the fork gives a plush ride it will blow through the travel tto easy on braking and large bumps. I'm going to work on that issue next.

Brakes are fine. 1 finger on the front is more than enough and the rear is easy to modulate.

The motor with the exhaust and air box opened up (and rejetted) is actually quite good for an air colled 4-stroke 250. With the weight it really doesn't power wheelie (unless you sit back and use some clutch or stand and give a tug). Its been really wet here so most of our riding has been from slightly muddy to a lot of mud. Here the smooth power is great. I can easily pull guys on 2-strokes because they are getting too much wheel spin. On dry, if you clutch it (like a 2-stroke) it will come out of the corner hard enough to be fun. (disclaimer; I am not sure long term how well the clutch will like this...)

Hills are fun too. I was climbing a muddy hill on our property and about the third time I didn't get a good run on it. About half way up I was getting a lot of wheelspin so I started feathering the throttle. On a 2-stroke I likely would have stalled or start clutching it and just spun to a halt but it just chugged up.

So, from a play/trail bike standpoint I like it alot. I still plan to get a CR-250R or YZ-250 this fall but also plan to keep the TT-R250 (for mud and trails!).

I am happy with it.

Very well said Dave...So far I've been very happy with mine as well. We come from similar riding backgrounds. I raced two strokes for many years including the open class on a 1990 CR 500. I also was out of riding for about 12 years or so until buying my 2005 TT-R250 to chase my kids around while they learn. For that type of non-competitive riding, the bike is wonderful. At 42 years of age, my "competitive" motocross days are well behind me and I just like to ride with the family...we have a blast. It's funny to read posts where guys bash the TTR because it's heavy, or slow, or air-cooled, or blue, or whatever, but out of ALL the guys that post on this site, how many of them could contend for a MX championship, probably not many.

i really like the ttr250.. the only thing i don't like about it is the weight and the looks.. i would really like to see them give a little time to upping the ttr line. lightening the 250 and 230 and squeezing a little more stock juice out of the ttr125. but hey they are play bikes.. honestly though i think the perfect bike for you is the kdx200/220. way faster than the ttr250. way lighter also. for the same price if not cheaper. my friend has one and in drag races, (which i know arent' really important) the kdx stays dead even with a piped yz125. the kdx is also a very maintnance free bike. again i really do like the 250, i just like the kdx's better

I think alot depends on what your ultimate goal is down the road. The TTR is a great bike for what it is intended which is a good trail bike but if you have racing in mind you may want to look at something else. The KDX is a great bike but being a 2stroke you will not be able to get a green sticker in Cali.

I also like the fact that the TTR is air cooled because you don't have to worry about bending radiators in a crash. Ours has been stone reliable and the handling is very good for trails. I like it because it is simple and reliable and needs very little maintenance.

Sam

I had the 04 ttr250. Great bike!!! I had not problem with it. I did basically the same as others, follow the kids. However I wanted and little more and I am on the short side(5'5). I moved over to the WR 250. Although its higher in the seat, it's narrower so it made it much easier. So much better and alot lighter. Also the estart on both of these is the best. Then again, if I was a littler taller I would still have it with no complaints.

I found the WR's to be more like a 2 stroke with lower end. Not enough low end for me though. Now the TTR 250 is a different story. Awesome engine.. Simple, smooth, And enough low end to boot.

If you do get a WR, get the 450.

Another item to note is the maintenance costs of the new race 4-strokes (assuming you follow the recommended hours) can be quite high. As our local mechanic says "they run real good, but when they blow up they blow-up even better". (According to him mostly because people stretch top-end jobs too long).

The TT-R's don't make as much power or RPM's but require a whole lot less work and have longer maintenance intervals.

Again you just have to decide what you want and what you can afford.

Thats why I am leaning back to a 2-stroke this fall for something with a little spunk.

Love my bike.It handles trails great, a little heavy? Considering my last bike was a Sportster this thing is a featherweight.It tops out at over 60 and climbs hills fine.For my needs Its a great bike.The only thing I have noticed is on some jumps my 190lb butt puts a strain on the front end.For all around ease of maintenance and simplicity It is a good bike. :naughty:

Well after this weekend's outing I can append my earlier testimony. On trails it does indeed to very well. We did some hill climbing and I was also very impressed. These were 2nd gear hills with some slight twists and you were riding a rut with cross branches etc. It just torqued right on up; no clutching etc.

Also on this trip we were on some faster trails that had lots of those annoying braking bumps before corners. The stock suspension did well on the hi speed trails; but I got a lot of rear wheel chatter on braking (not enough to be scary).

I still plan to get a YZ-250 this fall but even more plan to also keep the TT-R for trail work.

GET A WR250F its sweet. all the great features of the TTR and YZ-F's mashed into possibly the sweetest bike ever.

the WR has tons of low end. and high end. which is something you cant say for the TTR. you can hardly get the WR goin without poppin some sort of wheelie.