ATV vs. Dirt Bike problem

So I was riding with a couple friends. I have a KX100, and they all have ATV's. One was an ultra fast LT250R, another a Piped 400EX and the last Piped Predator 500. MY bike has been wikced fun and powerful. These guys were acing me on speed all around, and i rode all 3 of the wheelers and they felt like pure muscle compared to my bike. I planned on getting a YZ250F, but now I'm finding myself wanting say a Raptor 660R or something... I dont want this to happen but it is and It's weird. I think it was the pure power that made me want the bikes, Im not sure if I still like dirtbikes better or not, it's weird. How would a YZ or CR250F compare to these machines? :naughty:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yeah a 100 vs a 500 is gonna feel different. Your best bet is to ride on a similar bike to what you are looking to buy and that will tell you better than anyone on the board if you'll want that or a quad. Pros and cons to both... depends what you want to do with it and where you want to ride.

Hey OIL do you intend on weighing 250lbs by the time your 16, then you are a quad guy. If you want to be able to walk under your own power then wait and get a good off road bike. Quad guys are one step from those motorized chairs things Wal-mart gives their shoppers so they can buy more food and stuff. The up side you become a quad guy and get so fat you can get a handicap plate and park closer to the entrance so you don't have to get any exercise and can get fatter! :naughty::naughty:

My KTM is no match for any of my friends quads. A 400EX piped, a Raptor 660R, and a Predator 500. Once I drop into my sixth gear, there is just no keeping up with the orange thunder. Works great for me since it's getting dusty and I'm not the one having to eat all of it :naughty::naughty::D:D:D

Maybe they have bigger motors, but put them in your element (in the woods) and you will smoke them. Any fool can twist the throttle, it takes a rider to go fast in the woods.

I agree, take them to the woods and you will cruise away from them on the more challenging trails with tree roots and rocks.

It is a problem riding with quads, they like to ride at a different pace and prefer different trails.

Maybe you should get one to ride with your mates, if you can keep your bike too all the better.

Heres what i found, most of my friends that have quads want to run woods roads all the time which i find boring on my bike but when i take them on the tighter stuff they get a workout and don't want to run those at our pace.

A friend of mine, his son had a KX100, rode with us quite a bit, biggest problem he had was the gas tank was too small and we had to siphon some into his quite often. He traded that for a 400ex because most of his friends had quads.

He was never happy with it, where he could keep up on his Kx100 now he is way behind our bikes in the tight stuff, dosn't ride with us anymore and wants a bike again, he is a good rider, i would like to see him on a CRF250X, no-one would catch him.

I've ridden bikes on and off road for 30 years. The first time I rode a quad was last summer when my nephew bought a Raptor 660. My first ride on it was on an intermediate MX track. That thing was dangerous. It was wicked fast and a little hard to control in the turns. It really felt weird when I took it airborne over a small jump. :naughty: I think you could get in trouble fast with a quad that powerful. :naughty: A few months later, my wife got the bug and bought a little Bayou 250. Now, that is a fun (and safe) little quad for her. I only like it in the snow.

when they close trails to quads they close trails to bikes too. Rather than bitch and moan about quads why not spend that energy bitching about unsafe riders (both 2 and 4 wheel)? I've been almost killed by plenty of dipshits on 2 wheels and 4, quit acting like you're all some higher species of rider. Do you love the sport or just bashing quads?

Back to the original question.

If you are wanting to drag race the quads on open gravel/dirt roads or fields, you

will need a big bike. Back in the early 90's, I spent some time riding with some

people who had quads. I had a 88 XT550, setup for offroad mostly riding.

I drag raced a buddy of mine who had a Suzuki Quadzilla. 500cc 2 stroke quad.

It would be dead even up to about 60-70mph, then we always ran out of room and

had too slow down.

In the tighter woods and trails, the bike was the faster, of course.

Get your buddies to follow your 100 out into the woods, then you should be able

to lose them.

The last time MXJunky rode a four wheeler was years ago, on a 250R, in an open field. The physics of having four wheels contact the dirt instead of two provides a harsh ride. Dirt sickles are way more fun everywhere, even sand.

I am constantly catching up to and passing quad riders in the mountains, and I am slow by comparison. There is no way they are as fast as most bigger bikes like my WR or any other big bikes for that matter. Those big SUV looking ATV's just lumber around and cant take the rough trails very quick at all. Plus, I cant believe how many of those guys bitch about how ruff the trails are. Black n Blue agrees with MXJunky about how much better the ride is on a 'dirt sickel'. :naughty: In the long run, go with what makes you happy.

when they close trails to quads they close trails to bikes too. Rather than bitch and moan about quads why not spend that energy bitching about unsafe riders (both 2 and 4 wheel)? I've been almost killed by plenty of dipshits on 2 wheels and 4, quit acting like you're all some higher species of rider. Do you love the sport or just bashing quads?

He's right you guys, If we (bikers, quaders and jeepers) don't band together and fight to keep trails open then we are going to lose them. Weather we ride on two, three or four wheels we are still all fighting for the same thing.

Both are fun to ride. You just need to decide what type of riding you want to do and how fast you want to go while doing it. Perhaps you're more comfortable at speed on a quad. If that's the case, go for the atv. Just remember, most states don't let you have the right of way on roads to and from town, so you'll have to trailer it everywhere or risk getting caught and impounded.

Plating a bike (IMO) is a much better option if you want to ride without hassle - assuming your 16, or going to be soon. Then you can ride tight ORV trails, or open two tracks and fire lanes - slow or fast, it's your pick on a bike with a plate.

Good luck with your decision.