Titling a dirtbike for street in tx.

My WR is ready for inspection, And Registration. How do I get my local tax office to take off "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" For my dual purpose bike? I found that txdot had a "standard of safty statement" (form) to fillout when you had the bike inspected. Befor titling. Thanks!

Okay, this is a cut and paste from another forum:

"First you need to get some sort of insurance. I got liability only one mine and it was only about $60/year. Then take it to get inspected and make sure you get a "green sheet" when you get the inspection, it only cost $1 more. Take the title, insurance, inspection, and green sheet to the license office and have them swith the title over to a dual registration, cost about $60. Walk out with your plate and go dual sporting!"

Okay, that's the paperwork side. On top of that you must be able to pass the inspection. Which means hi/lo headlight, taillight (in theory with plate light), brake light (front or rear activated), horn, DOT tires (not always checked), rear reflector. For the rear reflector you can use the round reflecting bolts to hold your plate on. Turn signals are not required, but the consensus is that if you have them they must work.

I'm going to be plating a bike in the next month or so and will post a write up then.

Good luck

I had my bike plated for me in Texas before shipping to CA. I had to send proof of insurance and the rest was an inspection just as stated above.

Thanks For the help! Next stop is an inspection station!!!!

From the Texas DPS website .You do not need a high/low head light. A stock headlight will do.

1. Horn

2. Mirror

3. Steering

4. Brakes (system)

5. Tires

6. Wheel Assembly

7. Exhaust System

8. Tail Lamp (1)

9. Stop Lamp (1)

10. License Plate Lamp

11. Rear Red Reflector (1)

12. Head Lamp (1)

13. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number

From the Texas DPS website .You do not need a high/low head light. A stock headlight will do.

1. Horn

2. Mirror

3. Steering

4. Brakes (system)

5. Tires

6. Wheel Assembly

7. Exhaust System

8. Tail Lamp (1)

9. Stop Lamp (1)

10. License Plate Lamp

11. Rear Red Reflector (1)

12. Head Lamp (1)

13. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number

Right, that is one head lamp, whereas a car has multiple head lamps. High and low are different beams from one lamp. If you look at the inspection criteria here then you will see that the head lamp must have mulitple beams. Texas makes a distinction between motorcycle, motor driven-cycle and mopeds. For motor driven-cycles and mopeds you only need a single beam. Everything else needs high and low.

They have checked for high and low on mine everytime I've been in.

Friday afternoon I took my WR to a local inspection site, Got my sticker, asked the attendant for a "GREEN SHEET", He said if your bike is titled in TX.

you no longer need one, it is only for out of state bikes. As of January 1. txdot changed the laws. OK I drove 38 miles to my tax office, gave all of the paper work, and was told I have to have "THE GREEN SHEET". I also had to fill out an affidavit on all of my modifications, and get it notarized. Instead of going all the way back to the inspection station, I went two blocks over to a new station to get it reinspected and the attendant their told me the same thing, I don't need a green sheet! :naughty: I told him I wanted it anyway! He charged a dollar :naughty: with out the inspection fee, I was soon to be on my way back to the tax office. Two and ahalf hours later, I had finely gotten my plate. :D

Hmmm. I just got my BRP legal in Texas a few months ago.

Here is the order I did things in.

1) obtained liability insurance

2) went to tax office, paid taxes and fees and walked out with a license plate

3) got bike inspected

Never once got asked for a "green sheet". Guess I got lucky.

I am trying to do the same, but I am unable to get my XR250 inspected (military stationed in WA state). I just got off the phone with the Callahan County tax office and was told that since the manufacturer certificate states "off road use only" I can not get a plate. Any help would be most appreciated.

I am trying to do the same, but I am unable to get my XR250 inspected (military stationed in WA state). I just got off the phone with the Callahan County tax office and was told that since the manufacturer certificate states "off road use only" I can not get a plate. Any help would be most appreciated.

Hmmm, sounds like you need to bring it down for an inspection on your next leave. I don't know anyway around it, but I'm no expert.

Resurrecting a very old topic here! Do you still have to do the physical inspection to plate a dirt bike like a KTM 350XC-F in Texas? Thanks!